Where to find a Turbo Spinning Block?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Ed Call, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +68 / 0
  2. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    I'm not very handy with wood working etc. but the one I have from AATF looks like an easy build if you have the components. They work GREAT!!
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,234 / 9
    Thanks Andre and Norm. I'm thinking that my next tinkering project has been identified. With luck I'll stumble upon one of the very portable Turbo-Spinners. (or I'll snatch Rob's once he buys it) As for the home bench, no reason not to make a nice long one to build some brushes that will last through a bunch of flies.
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Well, with the target item seemingly unavailable and several WFF members recommending I get off my ass and put a bit of tinker time in, that is what I did. After all, if the membership of WFF suggest it, it must merit consideration.

Mumbles' Dubbing Brush Block:
    Caster - $1.57
    Eyebolt - $0.57 for two (maybe Rob Ast will apologize for bid blocking me on the turbo-spinner)
    Bifold Door brackets - Free, saved from the doors I removed on Spring Break
    Screws - Already in my tinker toy shop
    Spring - Also saved from the bifold door project
    Cotter Pin - I've got 1000 of these in assorted sizes for tying flies
    Cedar 4x4x13 - I had four of these that were cut off scrap from a gardening project a couple of years ago
    M6 inserts - I have a bunch of these from countless snowboard projects
    Small mushroom cap hex head bolts, nuts and washers - spare splitboard parts from the old Burton interface system
    Total actual cost: $1.86 if my math is right.

Hacksawed out the caster's axle. Bent open the eye bolt. Used the vise to press in one M6 insert to each side of the caster wheel. Put a length of clear heat shrink tubing over the threaded portion of the eye bolt (it is not M6 threaded so the shrink tubing took up the slack and conformed on the inside to the threaded eyebolt and to the inserts. Bolted the caster bracket to the bifold door brackets. Located the central long axis of the cedar 4x4. Routed it in 1/16" increments until I got the depth to my desired level. Held the wheel assembly to the end of the block to align where the bracket screw pilot holes should be drilled. Marked four holes. Drilled four holes. Disassembled caster from the bifold brackets. Mounted the brackets to the block. Remounted the caster (not enough drill/screwdriver clearance to properly drive the screws). Tighten, tighten, snug, snug. Drilled the cotter pin hole. Pounded cotter pin into hole, straighten the eye along the long axis (astetic, not functional). Mounted the wire end holding screw with overlying spring, tighten until the spring is tight to hold the wire.

Photograph, photograph, photograph. Fastened the wire, waxed the wire, wire to the hook, dubbing on the wire, wire over the dubbing and around the same side of the cotter pin. Wire around the screw into the spring. Slow spin a few times. Remove both wire ends from the spring and hold in my hand as I spin the dubbing brush. Spin until tight and the wire breaks. Done. More photos. Show you that WFF members are motivating, resourceful in their suggestions and right.

Thanks to all for their suggestions, video links, web page how to's and all that jazz.
  5. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    Looks good Mumbles... I need to spin me up one now. Lets see them flies!
  6. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +941 / 0
    Looks great Ed!
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Okay, so I can build a simple block system, spin a dubbing brush but I'm not sure I can bang out any flies. We'll see what happens. I'm already working on a multi width tray block idea in my little pea tinker brain.
  8. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Plus shipping of eleven bucks. Thanks for saving me about thirty bucks! Nice score though Daryle, that block looks sweet.
  10. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    the block rocks!!
  11. Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

do'n it 4 the chinookie
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  12. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Daryle, Tom's is awesome. I love the simplicity and the possible length of brushes you could build on that baby. I might try to make a very long one similar to that for my MOALs and big bushies. Let us know how that Turbo Spinner suits you.
  14. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    So my friend Rob came and picked up the dubbing spinner from my house. Since he's not returned it yet I'm thinking it might be working for him. Now I don't have one again, so back to the drawing board. I can't just make another of the same, I have to try to make it better. Maybe this fits that improvement category?

This block has three shallow routed trays, narrow, medium and wide widths to accomodte different width materials from small freshwater pattern brushes to very long materials for bushy big nasties. The same spinning head can be slid off the end, rotated 90* left or right to allow all three trays to be used by the same spinning head. Thoughts?
  15. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    And about five minutes after sitting down with a bag of 'bou, dubbing and rabbit strips:

I can envision some eggy beads strung onto that white maribou dubbing brush and fished nasty style, Chris? Sean?
  16. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,404 / 0
    Nice block of wood. If you are out and about and are cold, you will always have a nice dry log for the fire.
  17. Kerfwappie Member

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Hey Mumbles,
    Can I borrow this one and not return it? I like this design.
    Eric

I'm kidding of course.
  18. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Hey smart guy, I could have made it whimpy and not substantial, but having a block substantial enough that you don't need to bolt it to the bench is nice. Quit your fussing and go fishing.

Of course...but based on my previous experiences, Mr. Rob Ast...buddy, I'll need a significant security deposit!
  19. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,404 / 0
    The semi warm weather is blowing the river's out. And all the lakes in my area are reservoir's and they are way to big for a float tube. There are a few smaller lakes but they all sit at 8000' or better and are still iced over. And road to them is under a lot of snow.
  20. AndreD Member

Chico, N Cali
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    What type of wire are you using for your brushes Ed?