Where to find a Turbo Spinning Block?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Ed Call, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    AndreD, so far I have only been using some Uni wire in size small, it is sort of mustard yellow in color. I only have a bit more of it and I'm not really sure why I got it because the color is strange. It seems to almost totally disappear in the brush materials spun up. I have some other colors in the small size and a few colors in the brassie size (I think that is the next size larger). I also have some craft store wire, some of it is brassie sized or larger. Is that a good type to use or should I be using something else. I think this stuff is fine enough to work with yet not add a tremendous amount of weight to a fly.

2. AndreD

AndreD Member

Honestly I can't tell you if thats good wire or not, thats was why I asked. I have been meaniig to get some SS wire that they use for brushes but just haven't gotten any yet. Thats what alot of the guys use I hear. So I am glad to hear that you are using the UNI wire with good results. I will try that since I have some and not the SS.

3. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Ed, save some money on wire. Really. Ron at AATF knows his brushes and after a conversation about wire, sold me a huge spool of it. It's really good wire and an obnoxious amount. Not sure if it was 5000ft or yards, but more than I can use. Bring a large spool from an old flyline or something like it and I'll fill it.

Now you can start tying up some spring creek specials.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Ed Call

Media:
    Commander Scoones, you sir, are corrupting me! I'll make sure that I throw a spool in my rig for whenever our paths cross next. Those are some nice looking flies. Is that a bit 'o tail, flash and/or wiggle, few turns of the dubbing brush and a soft hackle wrap? Thanks.

5. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    A SCP is an uncut bunny tail, dubbed bunny brush body with a tungsten bead. Makes the fly jig. You can strip it or jig it as needed. My preference is a bit of bit of schlappen up front.

When doing bunny or boo brushes, trial with adding legs and flash in the brush itself.

6. Ed Call

Media:
    I saw a video of dubbing brushes being made wtih flash and legs put in every half inch or so. I'll give that a go.
    I found my spool for the wire you are hooking me up with...it was being used as a table!