Where to fish for Salmon with a fly

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Flyfshrmn, Jul 11, 2002.

1. I have been fishing for salmon for many years with a buzz bomb and now I want to move on to using a fly. I live in Kitsap County and the only place I know of to fish for salmon is Point No Point. Could any one give me any suggestions where I can use a fly and listen to my reel scream as a salmon strips the line off.

Thanks

2. It is my understanding that Point No Point can be very good to flyfish, but I have no personal experience there. I have heard that the fish often move really close to shore. Just my .02$.

3. Point no Point is as good a place as any to start, and better than most. You'll be fishing the same places and same way you did with your buzz bomb, just not quite as far out (unless you develop a REALLY good double-haul). so look for places where the tide rip is moving a little closer to shore. I've hooked plenty of fish at PnP very close to shore (within several feet actually), right at the point. The shallow flat southeast of the lighthouse at PnP can be really good sometimes at slack tides for occasional cruisers. I think PnP is also one of the best spots for realistic shots at blackmouth from the beach (though you couldn't prove it by me).

The area around Foulweather Bluff is also good. And in late July and August you can fish from your float tube or kick boat in Miller Bay (the fish in the bay will be getting a little sparse and darkish by September).

One word of advise: Leave the buzz-bomb rod at home, at least until you start getting fish with the fly rod and gain some confidence. The casts-to-fish ratio with the fly is going to be a little higher, and if you get frustrated and pick up the buzzbomb because you KNOW it works, it will take that much longer.

4. Bush Point in late summer and into the fall can be really hot for Coho. You may even pick-up the occasional Steelhead.

Pt. Wilson (Port Townsend) at daybreak on big tide change (ebb is best, but flood is good also). If the current is just right you can actually do a wet fly swing just like in the rivers. The fish (esp Blackmouth) prowl the shoreline and in-shore kelp beds during the hours of darkness. Once light hits, the kings move into the deep water.

Also, learn to double-haul, or use a spey rod :pROFESSOR

The first time I ever fished Pt Wilson, I wasn't fly fishing, I was mooching right off the point. At the same time, I was watching a fly fisherman work the current from shore. When I asked how he was doing, he held up a 12 lb blackmouth he had hooked just before dawn.

A 12 lb blackmouth on a fly!!!! Would that be cool, or what?

Let us know how you make out...

Good luck,

Michael

5. Don't forget about Kayak Point, Lincoln Park, Marrowstone Island, Deception Pass and a whole host of other areas when you are searching for salmon. If you have a small boat, your options are even greater.

6. Aside all the other places already mentioned, I had a lot of fun on Fort Casey beach in Whidbey Island (fishing was very good all Sep last year and part of Oct), as well as under Tacoma's narrow bridge (generally smaller fish)

And, yes, you should definitely learn a solid double haul.
    However, in the meantime, watch the weather forecasts
    and pick your place carefully.
    Try to avoid strong and contrary wind at first.

Hope this helps.

Mauro

7. what part do you live in?

how long have you been fishin around kitsap county, theres mores places around than people think.

hit point no point at day break in front of the light house. then when theres gear chuckers as far as the eye can see. take the hansnvile highway and look for spots. casting a cutplug into the tide rip with no weight has taken the largest fish there.

there will be no talk of foulweatherbluff over the internet :WINK

hit it at the minus tide like tomorow, walk to the light house and your right at the best spot on the kitsap penninsula for every kind of fish, my personal opinion. better not be a couch potatoe if your going there. long, long walk thru sand your feet sink in, I mean long walk.

that shallow eel grass flat south of point no point that streches to eglon is my favorite piece of fly water in puget sound. in a boat thou, so shallow, big and clear you can see huge schools of salmon cruise thru. great place to surface troll herring and fish for salt water chums also.

8. Sorry Rockfish. I'll try to be more discrete in the future. :WINK