Where to fish on Friday?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Ed Call, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Any suggestions? I'm likely dropping off the children for the morning routine and picking them up after school, but I think I've got the day off. The misses will/should be doing homework and I should not be underfoot.

2. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Always approach the WFF Crystal Ball with fear and reverence.
    Once you've asked it for assistance be very patient.
    Upon its first answer, if you don't find the path a satisfactory one, turn the WFF Crystal Ball over one time.
    Upon its second answer, if you still don't find the path a satisfactory one, shake gently (not vigorously otherwise you're playin' with it).
    Upon its third answer, if you once again don't find the path a satisfactory one, roll it uphill and let it come back to you.
    By this time the path will be yours to follow. Trust fully in the WFF Crystal Ball and do not wane from its careful direction.
    Now you must take its advice and show up at the agreed place on the day you originally specified. Bailing out, changing the day or choosing a different place are not options (for you anymore)...but if you so choose to disobey the WFF Crystal Ball you must banish yourself from its company (relinquishing your membership, the Mumbles trademark and any and all avatars) never to return.
    WFF has spoken. Now go forth and obey.

3. rattlesnakeflyguy

rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

Fish where it's most natural to you and where you get the most enjoyment each time. If you can ever that find place (that's within reason - location withstanding) don't share it (you owe the fish that much), and go to it when times of indecision do happen to arise. BTW, I agree with FF, no bailouts of anykind (that includes the kids)...alright, you're seemingly good to go. RSFG

4. Ed Call

Media:
    You guys are funny as hell and always entertaining. I'll do my best to keep up the entertainment on my end too. I have one of those WFF Crystal Balls but all it keeps saying is Hoh Down 2009, so I'm thinking I've worn the poor thing out. I've got a plan, it is loose at this time as in my real world planning is a progression toward a destination and I'll enjoy the process. While messing with my WFF Crystal Ball last night I was setting the stage by sitting in my pontoon. That of course is sitting in my garage where my wife says my truck should be, but my priorities are different than hers I guess. I did have a few ideas come to mind of locations not yet explored, visited once or twice and those tried and true. All in all I'm up for whatever that WFF Crystal Ball says, if it gets off my former obsession of the Hoh Down 2009, and will follow where it leads me.

FF and RSFG, the kids will be up early, out on our normal routine, dropped in their wonderful learning environments and then I'll have up to ten hours to follow my path. I do not believe in bailouts.

5. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Hey Ed try Kitsap Lake. I was over there yesterday morning. The little buggers are gobbling up scuds. Like me, even you can tie and fish scuds. This information is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Mike

6. Ed Call

Media:
    Mike, now I'm not gonna get my feelers hurt with you suggesting that my tying skills are limited to scuds. Truth be told I spent a few long tying sessions last week during the evenings tying up about a hundred tiny midges, chironomids, pupae and yes, scuds! I've actually never fished Kitsap Lake and it was not truly on my radar screen, but it sure is close and could be. I guess it is better to fish it before the motor boats and jet ski's find it warm enough to come out and play. Thanks for the idea, it was well worth the price!

7. ScudCuddler

ScudCuddler Board Member

Got a place selected yet mumbles? Are you headed over to DRY FALLS on may 2-3

8. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Mumbles, maybe you could save up this friday and next friday and exchange them for a trip to Dry Falls on may 2/3? Ha! who says I'm a slow learner, when one plan fails, I quickly bail and find another.:D

9. Ed Call

Media:
    SC, I have a few potentials that are within an hour of where we met. That will potentially put me onto a lake with good prospects and also close to the girls so I can keep up my end of the pick up and drop off routine. DRY FALLS the first weekend in May is woefully doubtful. I'll have to check the misses' MBA course load schedule. Regretably her full time degree program trumps my part time fishing and she is in full swing this semester already. I guess I'm lucky that I have a job and that job permits a compressed work schedule to give me two Fridays off each month.

AIA, I did not call you a slow learner, I called you a learner. Your logic is sound, very sound, but the afore mentioned MBA semester and its demands make my fishing pretty low on the household priorities.

10. Trent

Trent Ugly member

mumbles, I know. I'm just trying to help a guy get on the water. That whole wife and kids thing is something I am not very good with.

11. Ed Call

Media:
    As I Am, your efforts are truly appreciated. Maybe I'll get lucky and make Dry Falls. People do win the lottery from time to time. I wonder how long of a trip that would be from my house? I work next Friday, but if the lottery hit I could always drive up there on Friday night, sleep in the truck, fish Saturday and be home late Saturday night. This could allow the misses the entire day Sunday for her MBA course work. Still a longshot, but worth an inquiry.

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I'm gonna go and hit the Beaverhead. You can come if you want to. There are still a few fish left in this hole I keep hitting and I want to see if that big bastard is still there.

Jim

13. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

Ed
    If you want your mail delivered you should tell me where your going. I am in a meeting Friday but hoping to get out of it. Need to hook up with you and go fish. I like this side just as well. Got lots of stillwater to explore. When is that bridge gonna close? I-90 bridge is closing for a time next month, but not as bad as yours. BTW, anything you want me to say the Postmaster General? LOL

14. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Not sure of the general area of where you live, but I live in Marysville and my drive is apx. 2 1/2 to 3 hrs, via Highway 2.

This brings up question; does anyone know what the snow is like on Stevens pass, or is taking I-90 a better option right now?

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    It stopped snowing. The pass is open. But go to WSDOT Statewide Traveler Information. This site will give you everything you need to know about driving in Washington.

Jim

16. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Thanks Jim;

Slowly, but surely I am learnering this internet thing out. It does have alot of nice info on it.

17. Ed Call

Media:
    We do need to fish again! You do not need to deliver my mail, your role is certainly not the one that is deficient here. Change of local carrier equals total degredation of services. My local postmaster has not impressed, but I think without any further bashing everyone gets the thrust behind my face to face fly swap...

The Hood Canal Bridge will close at 12:01 May 1st according to the last report I read and is anticipated to be closed from 6 to 8 weeks. That will make exploring other lakes in Kistap or Mason the plan of attack.

Let me know if you get out of that meeting, we could meet at a variety of places.

18. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Too bad about the H/C bridge. How long is that supposed to last? Have you fished Anderson Lake, up around Port Townsend? It has a weird, though interesting season:

ANDERSON LAKE (Jefferson Co.) ALL SPECIES - internal combustion motors prohibited.
    All Game Fish Last Sat. in Apr.-Aug. 31 Statewide min. size/daily limit.
    TROUT Sept.1-Oct. 31 Catch-and-release. Selective gear rules.
    Other Game Fish Sept.1-Oct. 31 Statewide min. size/daily limit. Selective gear rules.

I suspect they do it this way, because those last two months are usually when the feed bag starts to get put on.

--Dave E.

19. Ed Call

Media:
    I've not been to that particular Jefferson County lake. I plan to explore that area much after the bridge reopens. That is a strange season breakdown, not sure what drives that but I fish selective gear and catch and release nearly all the time anyway.

20. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Although Anderson has the late season catch and release it has been closed earlier in the summer the last 2 years due to toxic algae blooms. Don't bank on the late season.