Where to get a good cork grip for spey?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by yuhina, Sep 12, 2006.

1. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hi,
    I am getting into the spey rod building at this moment. was wondering are there any company sale the cork grip that looks like the Winston or Meiser kind? I am too lazy and don't have too much time to turn the cork by myself...and I also hope my new rod would look a little bit better in the grip.

Thank for your suggestion.:D

Mark

2. willieboat

willieboat Member

Media:
    Log onto the Cabelas web site. Have them send you a copy of their rod building catalog. Also Angler's Workshop in Woodland carry a few different ones.

Don

3. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

Media:
    I haven't found good spey grips like the ones you find on meiser's rods that are sold already made on the web. Maybe you could get someone to build you one if you dont have the time or inclination.

if you do find something on the web, make sure to share the link with everyone.

4. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Give anglers workshop in woodland a call.. or the website.

5. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks for the suggestions! I will let you know what I end up with...
    PS. The new sage spey blankd looks pretty attractive : P might give a shot...
    Mark

6. Brett Clark

Brett Clark Drysider

Media:
    I too am getting into the spey scene, building my own rod, etc. I picked up a sweet 12'6' 7wt 4 piece blank from Bob Meiser for $165 and just turned my own grip last night. Set up my drill and put the glued cork rings on a piece of threaded rod and 60 minutes later voila. I mimiced Bob's grip dimensions as best I could. Bob said most commercially available grips are too large diameter for his tastes. Just take your time and check it for feel often, and it's a snap.

7. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Really!! It sounds a great deal! Both the blank and the grip... I am curious what kind of glue you use for the cork rings? I know Bob use CTS and Dan Craft's blanks...
    I just learned spey casting with my 9' 7wt , the cast style is so great, especially I used spey for river stripers... If you finish your cork or rod, Could you post some pictures? I bet they looks pretty.

8. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    Up here in the shop we use u-40's LS Supreme. same stuff we use to finish our guide wraps with. We use this for the cork rings because it isn't as thick as rod bond and when it's all dry it won't leave you any glue rings.
    To get great looking handles like Mr. Meiser you're going to have to glue up the rings yourself.

:cool:

9. Brett Clark

Brett Clark Drysider

Media:
    Mark,

The blank was $165, the guides, cork, reel seat, rod sock & tube brought the total to $350. Bob uses top of the line components, so you could probably save yourself some scratch there. But for the finished product I consider the price a relative bargain. I've been looking at spey rods/blanks for 3 years now, and I'm glad I waited.

I'll post some pictures of the rod when finished

Here are some pictures of the cork grip. Bob said Titebond glue is acceptable, as is rod building epoxy. Titebond II worked fine for me. I'm adding a 3/4" cocobolla cap piece on the top to put the winding check against and I'm having a friend make a 5" lower handle from cocobolla. There's plenty of wood left over, and for a little cash I could probably convince him to make another while he's at it. Send me a pm if you're interested.

10. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Brett,

These cork looks professional, good job! How long it took you to turn the beautiful curve? Your pictures really convince me that worth to give a try...
    What kind of blank you use for this rod? I read some threads from other spey website, I feel my style would be more suitable with the CND expert series, (slow action and smooth...) but unfortunately, they don't sell blanks. I heard a lot of good words about Bob's rod too. Maybe I should try his blank...

I am very interested in the cocobolla lower handle...i will sent you a eamil...
    Thanks for the post... they make me start to dream a better rod : P

Mark

11. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

Media:
    Brett,

I am impressed. Everytime I do something rod wise, I find that I could do something better if I put the time into it. I guess that is true with everything. Mr. Meiser is an inspiration in rod building.

Post pics when done. I have been meaning to post some pics of my sad efforts for a while now.

Yuhina - are you sure Bob uses Dan C. blanks? I am a DC fan and have rolled a few of but think I read that Bob has another source. Just something I read (from Bob I think). Minor point.

If anyone was wondering what to give me for Christmas, a CTS 15' blank is ok with me. Thanks in advance.

Jim

12. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jim,

The blank information come form other website (not confirmed). I am not really sure. Sorry for the confuse.

CTS blanks sound pretty charming, but the shipping from NZ prob not cheap : P... PS. I am a growing fan to CND rod co. though...

Mark

13. longshanks1

longshanks1 New Member

Hi Brett -

Nice work on the latest project, it looks like you've taken your time and done a fine job with that rod so far.

I am also working on a 12'6 7/8 blank (a forecast/batson), and I would like to duplicate the grip style you provided a photo of.

Any chance you could provide/post Meiser's grip dimensions here? That foregrip is pretty much exactly the shape I am looking for.

cheers

Shane

14. Brett Clark

Brett Clark Drysider

Media:
    Shane,

Here's the dimensions, with apologies to Mr. Meiser. I estimated lengths from the pictures on his website, so I might be off a little. Distances are from where the grip meets the reel seat. I measured to within 1/32", but you don't have to be that precise.

Distance Diameter
    0 1 3/16
    1" 1 1/16
    2 31/32
    3 15/16
    4 1
    5 1 1/16
    6 1 5/32
    7 1 1/8
    8 1 1/16
    9 1 1/32
    10 31/32
    11 7/8 + a bit
    12 27/32
    12.5 a shade under 1"
    13 1 1/16
    13.5 1 3/16

I haven't quite finished mine yet. I made a beautiful cocabolla lower grip, and was getting ready to attach it when my buddy said he would quilt the bottom of it so it wouldn't slide while you're fighting that 15lb clearwater B run. Sounds great. Only he didn't get it all the way done before my Grande Ronde trip, so I took it anyway without epoxying it on. It was a tight fit, or so I thought. A dozen casts down the nice run below Cable Hole I look down and no beautiful grip, just the @#$#%# bare butt of my rod. :mad: After searching for 20 minutes I decided a swim in fast 45 degree water at 7am was not the way to start off my day steelheading. bawling: bawling: So now I have to make another one. Oh well, I'll have it done one of these days. I figure I have at least 4 weeks until all the rivers in this state drop to a fishable level.:rofl:

15. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Brett,

You did a beautiful job on that grip. I've used the same method of shaping grips for my flyrods on a threaded bolt. I've also built one spey rod and remember how much of a pain it was to ream out that foregrip given it's long length.

Have you thought about glueing the cork rings to the rod, then doing the shaping? It would require a chuck of some sort to connect the rod to the drill, but could probably be done with a dowel and some tape. The down side of doing it that way is that you would be stuck with a mess if you screwed it up. The upside is that you wouldn't lose it in the Cable Hole.

By the way, how's the fishing been on the GR? Floated it with a guide in early Oct and scored a few times, but definitely down from last year. Maybe they were late coming in.

Wayne

16. longshanks1

longshanks1 New Member

Thanks for your response Brett. I take it from your explanation that the fore grip of the rod is around 13.5"? I am looking for a more compact grip than the one that I have on my sage 8150, which is a lot of cork! I don't necessarily need to duplicate Meiser's rod style, but when I saw the photos of the cork grip posted in this thread, it struck me as the shape and size of grip that I am looking for.

cheers

Shane

17. Brett Clark

Brett Clark Drysider

Media:
    Yes, my grip is 13.5" long, which is what Bob recommended for that rod. One of the beauties of building your own is you can make it however long or short you want. Finally finished turning the lower handle last week but didn't have time to epoxy it on the rod for my Ronde trip Friday. My two fishing buddies were laughing at me because I used a piece of string to keep the dang thing on. They weren't laughing after I landed that 31" wild buck. Couldn't get a picture after fighting him for 15 minutes, he was pretty tired, so I just sent him on his way.

Wayne, fishing has been really off this fall down there. The fish just haven't moved out of the Snake as readily as they have in years past. Friday I saw no one else with a fish on, and there was still a fair few people down there. And at 1500 cfs it wasn't particularly easy to get to some of the better runs.

Yuhina, I have another wood handle just like the one in the picture. Let me know if you're still interested, otherwise I'll just post a note in the classifieds section. Thanks.

View attachment 6863

Brett