Where to get materials for the lowest price?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by bwtucker83, Mar 2, 2006.

1. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Hang out in the Cast & Blast forum and goad Roper into giving you a handful of feathers. :p

Actually, a good friend of mine goaded a co-worker into giving him a bunch of pheasant feathers, which ultimately was destined for me. Yeah, Brad gets free flies these days. But I did catch the biggest trout of my life on a fly tied out that gallon baggy! :beer2:
  2. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    Hit the local craft store for body material and a few feathers and things.

Daryle
  3. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    I love my Dan Vise, I got a base from Cabelas but want to make one from a piece of scrap granite slab. Go check out the sportsman warehouse in Federal Way, good prices. I've also picked up some good material from a taxidermist in exchange for flies. They like to use the flies in their fish mounts.
  4. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Become friends with hunters all types whether you like them or not, I have so many feathers and skins now will never use them all. Some have been sitting unused for years.

BG
  5. kimosabe Member

Maine
    If you are not looking for something simple & inexpensive...try a Thompson A vise, it will do the job.

I started with the Thompson and ended up with a Regal.

As for materials, try your local flyshops, you will get expertise that internet sellers can't offer (not that I don't shop over the net)
  6. kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

Muskie country!
    Get your stuff at your local shop. What you save in prices online will be made up in shipping, and in leaving your local guy out in the cold.

The only time I order online is when my local shop would have to special order it. Namely in the huge hooks I use for pike. Otherwise, Waters West sells me everything.

Jeff
  7. FFK fly fisher kid

spokane,wa
    i fugured your back yard. lots of stuff to use, get your bb gun.
  8. NWDave New Member

Bellingham, WA
    Got a Value Village or something similar nearby? I've made killer finds of beaver, mink, fox and other great looking colors of real fur, just hanging around as collars and stoles. You gotta be careful and know the blow test to tell if it's real or fake. This stuff makes great dubbing material. Cleaner than road kill too.

~Dave
  9. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    That reminds me, I have to get my air gun fixed. Lots of starling skins to be had.

Daryle
  10. beaverton New Member

E. Wa
    Griffin Odyssey spider, rotary vise under 100$