Where to Get Williams Point Sand Lance?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by oncorhynchus, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Does anybody know a fly shop in or near Seattle that stocks the Williams Point Sand Lance?

Thanks

2. Does anyone know where I can find a recipe of this said fly??? I wasn't able to find any. Sorry, Bret, I didn't mean to hijack the thread!!

3. Page 101 in Les Johnsons book, "Fly Fishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout."

Hope this helps,
    Leland.

4. You'll need to tie up many of the best saltwater patterns for salmon and cutthroat. Unfortunately most fly shops don't have a great saltwater selection and most of what they have are low quality commercial patterns that won't last long on the beach.

5. Thanks for the tip, DimeBrite. That's the conclusion I was near reaching in my search over the past days. I'm not a flytier yet, but it sounds like time to start.

Take it Easy

6. The Williams Point Sand Lance is an excellent, excellent fly....

7. Anyone have a photo of that fly that they can share?

8. There is a color photo of the Williams Point Sand Lance in Fly Fishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout. In fact there are some 165 photos of flies in FFCCT that you might not find elsewhere. You will find that for our west coast saltwater fly fishing that learning to tie flies will become nearly mandetory. Most catalogs feature east coast saltwater flies and hope that we won't know the difference.
    Cheers,
    Les Johnson

9. I'm on the hunt for a copy right away.

10. not the best photo
    didn't exactly follow recipe

fly slightly chewed on

but I think you can get the idea

11. Rarely necessary....as evidenced by the slightly chewed appearance.:thumb::rofl:

Tie a clump of white bucktail, kept sparse, long, and thin, to a hook and you're most of the way to immitating any sandlance you'll find.

You can add things like flash, different colored bucktail, or weight if you're feeling adventurous.ptyd

12. If you don't tie then you might call some local shops as a few of them custom tie.