Where to hit the Beach around Tacoma Area

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by William Wallace, May 19, 2008.

1. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

Hello everyone,
    My doctor is sending me to a Physical Therapist for my shoulder and is happy of the strength I have in it. He is a fly fisherman himself and has said that it is okay to do some light casting. So I took out the rod today (Elkhorn 8'6"3wt and 9'8wt TFO TiRcX) in the yard and gave it a whirl :thumb: Not bad I kept it to around thirty minutes and it feels good. I will wait till tonite to really see. If not a pill and ptyd will do just right. I felt like I was back learning years ago when I was taught to pretend you have a book under your casting arm and do not let it drop.

So my real question is where would be a good beach to hit from around 0930 to noon on Thursday morning. Just need different scenery (trying to keep my cast out of the power lines, neighbors tree and the street) and take a few pictures. Any ideas I will take and if you would like to come down to talk fishing, Please join. Please excuse my spelling.

William

2. Fishful Thinking

Fishful Thinking Member

What's the name of that beach park under the Narrows bridge? Docs?

3. Drag-Free Drift

Drag-Free Drift Member

If you're going out for only an hour or so, and your main purpose is to get in some casting practice, Solo Point on North Fort Lewis just north of Dupont is probably the closest and least crowded beach. The Narrows Park (Doc's), under the bridges on the west side of the sound, has easy access and your chances of catching fish are better there than at Solo Point, but it's a longer drive for you, there's more traffic, and there's a toll to pay on the return trip. Browns Point is another possibility, but it's kind of complicated to get to and parking can be a problem. During the time period you're talking about, the tide will be going out, so wherever you go you'll have plenty of beach to practice on. In the salt, you always have to be aware of tidal stage. Many beaches pretty well disappear during some high tides.

Why not try Spanaway Lake? It's really close and I hear it's been stocked pretty heavily recently. You can rent a boat there to get you out onto the lake. Don't know for sure because I haven't been there for a few years, but the gas money you'll save by not having to drive so far will probably pay for the boat rental.

Good Luck!

4. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    In addition to the other beaches already mentioned, you should consider Titlow Park on the South/East side of the bridge. You’ll pay no toll, access is easy and the strong outgoing tide should fish well. It would be worth stopping at if Doc’s doesn’t produce, since it is only a minute or two out of you way on the way home.
    Titlow is easy to find and easily accessible off of the Jackson exit on Hwy. 16.
    Anil

5. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Media:
    Take first exit after bridge going eastbound to Jackson, hang right at light, another light at next light. Go down hill all the way cant miss it.