Where to mount a rod holder on my pontoon boat?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by atomic dog, Aug 1, 2013.

1. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Media:
    I have a Buck's Bags pontoon boat and I recently got one of the Scotty frame mount rod holders for it. I'm not exactly sure where the best place to mount it would be.
    [​IMG]
    I was thinking on the side of the frame, below the oar locks (angled out to the side a bit), but didn't know if it would be an issue if the base of the rod holder was in contact with the tube. Otherwise maybe I could move the oar locks back a bit and mount it in front of those. Seems like that would be in the way, though.

I did a google image search for photos for ideas, but couldn't come up with anything. Suggestions?

2. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I would try to find a place behind you, left side assuming you are right handed, and inside of tube. Make sure wherever you put it you can row with your rod in it.

Wayne

3. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

On my south fork, I mount the scotty mount on the starboard side forward oarlock upright, pointing outboard. I plug in the scotty holder tipped forward at about 50 degrees from vertical, it holds my rod while i get in and screw around getting tied in, and it's out of the way when you row. I don't carry two rods, so I don't know about a rod holder for a second rod. I also placed a mount on the port side for the scotty beverage holder on the horizontal portion of the oarlock mount, aft of the oarlock, and pointing in. I use it for my beverage holder, because a cold beer is a great thing, and it's out of the way during rowing too.
    I've seen other setups, YMMV, but this works for me.

4. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Media:
    Guy, are you saying you bolt the holder to the vertical bar at the front of the oar lock riser? I think I get what you're describing and it sounds like a great idea.

I mostly want to be able to row and troll in addition to keeping the rod out of my way when I'm not fishing.

5. Guy Gregory

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. You can point it either outboard or inboard, and adjust the angle of the holder to make sure it clears the oars while you row, or is otherwise comfortable for you if you're trolling or kicking or just kicking back watching the birds. I set mine up as above, and it's real flexible for lots of situations.

6. gofish101

gofish101 Member

This is another option and won't be affected by rowing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then use you scotty frame mount on the foot rail to have a forward anchor as well. These rod holders are super cheap but very effective.

Blue likes this.
  7. Guy Gregory

I looked at my boat today and my rodholder mounts inboard, not outboard. It's not in the way, and the scotty holder is way more secure than gofish's, and doesn't rub on the tubes. Of course it's a matter of degree, and the scotty is way more expensive. Mine is fool resistant enough to work for me.