Where to pick up a quality fish pump?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by rattlesnakeflyguy, May 26, 2008.

1. rattlesnakeflyguy

rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

Anyone know where to pick up a quality fish pump?

2. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

My guess would be at your local flyshop.
    If you're after really big fish you could drop into Safeway and buy a turkey baster!

3. rattlesnakeflyguy

Me still needy to find a quality fish pump...the turkey baster just might blow me out of the water, let alone puff up that fish so it looks like it's on roids...ideas? Dan

4. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
  5. Chironomid Guy

Chironomid Guy New Member

Any good fly shop....... in Spokane area: Cabela's, Silver Bow Fly shop, Sportsmans Warehouse. Theres probably more places, but these come to mind.

Cheers

6. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Why would you want to remove a fish's breakfast? All your going to find are shrimp, worms and powerbait.:rofl:

7. Hillbilly Redneck

Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Media:
    "The pump don't work
    'Cause the vandals took the handles"

Sorry... I just got done reading the Parrot Head/Dylan thread and that popped into what's left of my brain:)

8. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Media:
    Do it the old fashioned way. Mouth-to-Mouth!

9. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Just gut it and examine the contents (assuming it's legal to keep them).

Or do the JDDG Technique for another popular option. (Jason Decker Deatch Grip) j\k Jason!

Stomach pumps are hard on fish anyway. Mine as well eat it if you are going to kill it ;)

Most of the time you can figure out what they are feeding on just by observing the hatch cycles and feeding patterns of the trout.

But the biggest problem with the stomach pump is that you have to actually catch one to use it :)

10. rattlesnakeflyguy

Good idea Chad. Tis what'll I'll do...keep a little stocker and eat that for dinner...saves some fish in the process with not "pumping" using the right technique on the skill of the pumper & keeping 1 little guy is just fine. Catching ain't a problem in my camp.
    Dan

11. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    I just assume the fish are eating whatever I caught the fish on. Seems to work pretty good.
    -Ethan

12. bigfun4me

bigfun4me Team Infidel

I think the biggest mistakes made when pumping fish are inserting the pump too far down the throat, pumping fish that are too small and handling the fish by hand out of the water to perform the pump.

The pump does not need to go very far down the throat to be effective as most of the feed found in the stomach will have already been partially digested rendering it useless for observation.

I insert the pump very carefully just beyond the back of the throat not more than a half an inch to pull the last meal eaten. I am careful not to hit the gills, keep the fish under water in a large rubber coated release net, never pump water down the throat and am done in a matter of seconds.

I don't have the ability to track fish for hours to check the mortality rate after release, but I can honestly say I have never seen a fish go "belly up" after using it on many many trout.

The findings can prove invaluable if you know what to do with the information. Seeing a chromie lit up as well as other physical characteristics of the chironomids found in our lakes really opened my eyes for tying better representations.

To answer the original question of where to buy one, I think Puget Sound Fly shop has them in stock.

It should also be noted that the type of fishing you do should dictate when a pump is used. Because of the size limitations of the pump, you will not see anything but small insects -mostly chironomids if you fish lakes. Snails, minnows, crawfish and other large feed will not show up in a pump so think about what flies you will be fishing with and whether it makes sense to pump a fish before doing it.

13. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Amen about not pushing the pump too far down. But pumps do have a place, even if you are already catching fish. Here's an example.

A friend and I were fishing Rocky Ford a few years back and catching fish only sporadically, primarily on small scuds. The catching was just infrequent enough that my partner decided to pump one he'd just caught. The results were astounding. Instead of being filled up with the little size 14 or 16 scuds we'd been using, this guy had a bunch of BIG scuds in him - about 3/4" long! The biggest scuds we had in our boxes were about a size 10 which we quickly tied on. Guess what? We started catching more fish. We eventually broke off the only 3 or 4 big ones we had which slowed the catching down immediately when we switched back to the smaller ones.

K

14. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    I saw one for sale at The Avid Angler. They're over at the Lake Forest Park Shopping Center, on the side facing Lake City/Bothell Way.