Where would you go for an August steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by fly15, Apr 21, 2003.

1. fly15

fly15 New Member

My family and I are going on vacation sometime in mid to late August and I have been asked where I would like to go and naturally that would be where ever the steelheading is the best. Where should I go to have the best chance of catching some steelhead? It can be any where in Washington or northern Oregon. If you could go anywhere to fly fish for steelhead in mid to late August in the places mentioned above where would you go?:dunno

fly15

2. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

http://www.deschutesriveroasis.com/

Went last year with Mark from Oasis. My dad and I had the time of our lives. I'm hoping my dad is thinking about it again. I would be all over the Deschutes
    Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

3. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

i second that. The D should have another good run of fish. I had a great time last year.

4. DEREK

DEREK New Member

I third that idea. Immediately sprang to my mind when I read the title. Great numbers of willing fish in that river. Not a bad place to do it yourself either.

5. fly15

fly15 New Member

Sounds like I should make my first trip down to the Deschutes this August then. What part of the river do you guys find most productive and how long do you think it would take to drive there from Tacoma.:dunno

fly15

6. Wildram007

Wildram007 Guest

Most of the steelhead will be below Maupin in August, most years. I'd bring a full-size spare tire and make forrays downstream towards Mack's Canyon.

7. Wildram007

Wildram007 Guest

And oh yeah... I usually hit Maupin at the 4 and a half hour mark via 90/97 from Bellevue, and hit Seattle in the same amount of time coming back up through the Gorge and up I-5. I'll do most my cruising around 5 over. In fact, every time I do the 'chutes, I wonder why I don't do it more often (and BC for that matter - Merritt is just as far away time-wise).
    Good Luck!

8. Big Ben

Big Ben Guest

Amy at the fly shop in Maupin is a great guide. (Ask Tiger Woods) She put him on some steelies. I'd give her a call. She'll even show you how to spey. Check out her photo album you'll see some celebs and her dog Winston actually fetches Gink. Great store.

9. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

We actually caught ours above Maupin, near the end of August. 4 1/2 hours.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

10. angler88

angler88 New Member

Well, what a suprise,I would fish the Deschutes. The road down to the canyons, below Maupin, or go to the mouth, and hike upriver. :thumb

11. fly15

fly15 New Member

Thank you to everyone who has responded to and answered my questions. Looks like I will be heading to the deschutes, I don't have the money for a guide so hopefully I can find some steelhead on my own. I have caught a couple steelhead before but am no expert thats for sure. I am hoping that a fly fisherman of my skill level has a decent chance of connecting with mr. metalhead on the deschutes. Thanks again for all the info.

fly15