Where Would You Go?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ron Crawford, Aug 15, 2005.

1. I am taking Wednesday this week off from work. I am taking the entire day off and I am going to catch a salmon on a fly if it kills me. I live in Seattle and I fish the salt about once every two weeks, but I rarely have the time to travel further than the N Seattle public beaches. I have caught some SRCs (just a few), but I have never hooked a salmon. And I really, really want to experience the fun of catching a salmon.

Soooooo.....

If you were taking the day off to search for a willing salmon where would you go? I've got all day, and I am an early-bird so I am not really limited by travel time.

By the way ... I am fully aware of (and agree with) the "don't give away secret spots" vibe on this board. I AM NOT ASKING FOR YOUR SECRET SPOT. I am just looking for a recommendation along the lines of "Hit the western shore of the hood canal". I am very willing to do my own driving/hiking around to find the actual spot. I am just looking for a recommendation to narrow it down to a good general area at this time of year.

Where you would go if you had the day off.

Thanks

-Ron

2. Ron, don't think me less than sincere, but the first place I would go is to the store to buy a good map with great detail, then search on this site for any places on the map that looks like it might be interesting to you. A tank full of gas, and pack a lunch, and explore some new beaches. Much of the prize is in the pursuit.

Having read Les Johnson's book on pacific salmon, I would look to intercept fish along their migration routes back to their natal streams, where the water may be pinched between two land masses, points of land, etc., and the fish are forced together and toward the surface.

As to specifics, I'm sorry I can't help you as my experience in that part of the State is limited.

Tight lines.
    JH

3. "Picnic Point" Definately. :cool:

4. Bob, Bob Bob....now I have got to wonder why would a guide direct a flyfisher away from his home waters? :)

Ron, you should probably hire Bob and require him, under client privilege and threat of stopped payment, to review to you his professional and personal secret hidey holes. :eek:

5. Jim is right about exploring with a map. Not to promote a secret spot or anything, but if you really wanted to get away from the Picnic Point/Brown's Point thing, you could fish the only beach in Puget Sound that gets more pressure than those two spots...Point No Point. Take the Kingston Ferry and stay on that peninsula. You don't even have to go accross the Hood Canal Bridge, which may be closed anyway. Try P-N-P first and then explore. P-N-P is the easist spot to nail a Coho on the fly. Then it will be up to you to find a secret spot. Just look for state parks and other access.

NOTICE: ALL OF THE POINTS MENTIONED IN THE ABOVE POST ARE SWARMING WITH GEAR GUYS. THEY ARE NOT SECRET SPOTS BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION.

6. I've been there, man. It's impossible to predict, day to day, tide to tide, where to find good fishing conditions and fish. Having tried the N Seattle beaches, Picnic Point, and all around Camano Island (a dearth of public access) over the last 2 weeks, I'd go to Whidbey Island and fish the west side, or Point No Point and on out to Fort Flagler. Buts that's mainly based on not having luck at other places and hoping the grass is greener. You never know, and you might be more successful at Golden Gardens or Lincoln Beach. There's a lot to be said for learning a few beaches and when they may fish best. To me the real choice is to explore or go somewhere you know but could know better. Good luck, and if you are successful, don't hype it, my advice. Mark

7. While I don't really fish the salt water I do keep up one what has been talked about. And here is a few that haven't been mentioned as of yet. Linclon Park,Carkeek Park,Richmond Beach. But a search on this site should get you in the door as to where to go for some salt water fishing. And there is also a few articles written on the beaches of this state.

Jim

Edit: Go to the home page and click on Fly Fishing Articles. There is agood article on where to go,what to use, for Sea Run Cutts. Same should work for Salmon as they swim the same waters.

Me again

8. Many of the beaches off Whidbey Island would be good odds at connecting with a silver bullet. Just remember, tide is very important. Prime time is at least 2 hours before ebb and at least 2 hours after for most all beaches wth cloudy days increasing your odds. Pay particular attention to points and also any small bays between them. I may also mention Mukilteo which is close to home and by no means a secret, has salmon passing by regularly, although it gets busy at times there is still a good opportunity to intercept a silver with the fly.

9. Thanks for all the good advice in the replies and via PM.

How could I go against the overwhelming majority of suggestions to go to Browns Point? So I went. I showed up at 5:30AM and was met by about 30 other guys (mostly fly, some gear).

THE GOOD NEWS - I caught and landed my first salmon (and my second). WooooHoooo!!

It seemed like almost everybody hooked one this morning, most were landed. It was crowded, but no complaints here.

-Ron