Where You Part Of The Fly Club At Pass Lake Last Weekend?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Caveman, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Caveman

Caveman Member

I was there today and no problem getting out. The flu club even pulled me in and helped me out. Had a whole area to my self fishing. Had one guy come set next to me and then one other a couple hrs later. No complaints. Lake is big enough four everyone..

2. bugboy9

bugboy9 Member

"Although I am used to people behaving like they own the world, I was kind of surprised to see fly fishermen showing such a lack of common courtesy."

I think I pulled in right before you Jeff and my boat was right next to your Kayak. I was thinking the same thing when I pulled up to the boat launch. How can anyone think to block the boat launch with any floating device, all the way across doubled up? Not just for a minute either, but the entire lunch hour? I would think this fly club would be courteous and polite enough to take the initiative to move at least a few pontoons so that someone could get in or out of the launch.

I went over and politely asked the couple of people cooking for their club if they can ask someone to make a little room so I can take my boat out. They said no problem with a surprising unfriendly tone, but it didn't happen. This was the real first time in Washington I felt like these fishermen thought they were better than everyone else.

I just think of all of the nice people I've met over the years fishing (even from this forum) and I quickly get over people like that.

3. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Someone from the forum did warn people that the club would be there. Maybe they knew something we didn't? I imagine someone from the club will chime in here with some other side to the story. Can't wait to hear it.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What you needed was an old bastard to voice his opinion at that boat launch. I have more than once yelled for some room to launch or take out at several lakes.

They would of came over quick if you started moving their boats around. Sometimes you have to be the bad guy to get things done.

Now here is a different story. Most times where I go, I'm the only one there.

5. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    I am a member of this club. I wasn't able to make the outing. I am very disappointed and upset by these posts. Have sent out a E-mail to the club members and going to be asking questions. This is NOT the behavior I've come to expect from this club. I am truly sorry for your experience.

6. dfl

dfl Active Member

Being a flyfisher does not mean you aren't capable of or extremely accomplished at unmitigated jackassery.

7. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Blocking a boat ramp is a major NO-NO in any fishing group let alone a fly fishing club. One of the most asinine things a fisherman can do. maybe this is why I stay away from crowds - I have no patients for inconsiderate people and would of just ran the tubes and tampon boats over with my drift-boat and probably got my ass kicked at my age. when I was younger the fight would of just been the fun part of the trip! I'M not shy on educating the stupid, someone has to do it. But over the years I have learned to keep my mouth shut not because I want to be nice but because I can't back it up like I used too. Hell nowadays I would probably get sued by some punk-ass. 30 or 40 years ago people were held accountable for they're action right their on the spot so you didn't have all this bullshit, man how things have changed! The toughest guy now is the one with a lawyer and can write with grace on the internet!

Jeff Studebaker likes this.
  8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Ya get too many people and it becomes a crowd, and a crowd is a fool.

9. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I was at Pass yesterday. No major ramp issues for me, but perhaps a general suggestion based on things I observed yesterday. This happens at many other lakes as well, just not at Pass.

I noticed one of the first things folks do at launch is take their crafts down to the water, regardless of whether they are ready to launch or not. They then spend a considerable amount of time putting reels on rods, stringing multiple rods, putting on new leader, tying on flies while their craft takes up space at the launch. I've seen folks take up to an hour to finally get ready to launch.
    If you can do all that stuff before taking your craft down to the water, it provides a courtesy to all others using the ramp especially on busy days.
    Better yet, if you can do that stuff at home the night before, you'll get to increase your time on the water rather then in the launch parking lot.

SF

10. Bill Scott

Bill Scott New Member

I was at Pass Lake with the Fly Fishing Club. I do know the bank was crowded with boats but I was trying to make sure there was always a slot in the middle for people to get out. I may have slipped up a little, I apologise. We usually try not to be a burden to anyone. Next time, I will be sure to watch more carefully. I was present at the entire lunch time, and I was not aware anyone asked for us to move boats. I was not aware there was an issue until a member sent me a copy of this article today.
    Anyway - We all apologise if we caused difficulty for anyone and we were all enjoying the beautiful day so much, maybe we lapsed in our attention to the boat access. The club does so much to assist the preservation of Trout and Salmon, I hope people will not make harsh judements about us because of a lapse moment. Again, we aill try harder next time and apologise for any inconvenience we may have caused.

11. Jeff Studebaker

Jeff Studebaker Kayak Fly Angler

Appreciate the apologies, Bill & Jeff. The fact that the word was put out to the members of your club so quickly is admirable.

Although fly fishermen can be just as rude and ignorant as any other sportsman, it seems like an appreciation of history and olden times is an intrinsic part of our pastime, which includes a perhaps anachronistic sense of manners. We come to expect a high level of politeness and respect from each other – and we can get pretty ornery when we don't get it.

Bad-Daddio and Mark Kraniger like this.