Which Boat?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Wayne Kohan, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

OK, I have read pretty much everything about the Renegade and the Assault and after selling off a couple of boats recently, I am ready to purchase. I will be using this mostly on lakes, like Lenice and Nunally with a bit of a hike in, but I want the ability to use it in moving water such as the Ronde, lower Yakima, and Klickitat. Maybe even the Deschutes. Have some ability in that arena-just sold off my 13 foot raft. So which boat? It seems the Renegade if I am doing mostly stillwater and the Assault for moving waters? I have not read much of peoples experience with the Renegade on moving water. I have read the Assault is good on lakes.

I know, I need more than one boat, but I am only getting one for now. Actually leaning toward the Renegade - cheaper, wider, longer, bigger tubes. Weighs a bit more for the carry to Lenice. But I am glad to reconsider, preferably before I buy.

Thanks,

Wayne

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Wayne I like my Assault in rivers being able to fin kick and use my hands for fishing. it does a fine job in lakes too.

3. JMitchell

JMitchell Active Member

Wayne-

I have the Renegade and really like it. I fish mostly stillwater, but I also feel comfortable on mellow floats in moving water. I use to see guys on the green in Utah with renegades, even on class III-IV and what not. It all depends on what your up for. I have walked it into Lenice before, I don't have the balancing act over my head/shoulders down just quite right, but it's doable.

A few qualms I have are the seat, not the most comfortable. Also, with a lot of stripping I tend to get tangled at times around my fines and kick bar. Others have noted that they strip to the side into one of the saddle bags, I prefer to strip straight on. I am going to get there new stripping basket which should solve that.

I would definitely upgrade the oars to the litespeed or carbon fiber oars. I have the carbon fiber oars and they are nice.

Overall, Renegade with open front end for stillwater with the option to float moving water. Assault I think was more designed for that with the enclosed style to take on the rapids act of moving water. I haven't used the assault, but the guys here seem to rant and rave about it. Check out a few older posts, I think this same discussion was Either way, can't go wrong in my opinion.

Jarron

4. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Thanks Jarron, pretty much what I had been reading but I hadn't heard from anyone using the Renegade in moving water. I would expect it would be like any 9 foot toon in the moving water.

Wayne

5. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

On the stripping basket, I do strip to the left so I'm not that troubled about the line, but I know it's just a matter of time before I lose a reel or spool as there's nothing to catch it. I now use one of those 30 buck William Joseph collapsables that double as a wading belt. It works pretty well. I also just use a landing net sometimes. I think Scadden's stripping basket is probably the optimal solution.

6. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

In my Assault, I just strip to the side between me and the saddlebag--no room in the bag with all my s*%t. Never had any problems. I think with either boat, you'll be thrilled.

7. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

I called NFO, talked to Scadden, ordered the Assault with the carbonfiber oars. Thanks all

Wayne

8. Blue

Blue Active Member

I have both. I just bought the Assault, and have had the Renegade since they came out. Remember the Renegade is 9' long and 56" wide with 15" pontoons, the Assault is 8'6" long and 48" wide with 13" diameter toons for 5 lbs less.
    I have not had my Assault on the water yet but soon. I plan on using it with a nd without a motor and mostly Stillwater.
    I think either would be great on rivers, just one is more roomy than the other. Also having both, I recommend the litespeed Oars. Pretty sure you get the new seat now a days, but can't say for sure.

In my opinion, either one will work.

9. Blue

Blue Active Member

Oh and as far as your line, watch this video, around 1:18

I have this little basket, pretty cool. Or Venture Outdoors make a real nice apron.

10. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Congratulations to you, Wayne! Be sure to post your first impressions on the water. It's alway fun to hear new Scadden owners talk about their experiences. I'm still relatively new myself and totally love my Rene.

And Blue....congratulations to you too! This is what--about the 12th Scadden for you? :rolleyes:

11. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

I got the EVA foam seat. He said it was an upgrade so I assume not standard. Cool stripping bag. Even with a stripping apron I manage to catch line on every thing that sticks out on my pontoon. I should get the boat next week and have it out soon thereafter.