Which end is the front on a Skagit Compact

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Paul Huffman, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    I spun my compact Skagit off my reel to give the Rage another chance, this time with a shorter leader. Nice, but I wanted to put the CS back on so I could cast sink tips in the cloudy water. But putting the CS back on gave me pause since I couldn' t remember which end goes on the reel. (I had coiled it up without a tip on.) The Rage has Lazer printing on a loop, but the Compact just has a black loop and a green loop. I eye-balled the tapers, and decided to try the green end towards the reel. Casts pretty well if it's backwards.
  2. steve s Member

Issaquah, Washington
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Black end to the running line.
    pirate and Ian Broadie like this.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,356 / 9
    Bingo! Black to the back.
  4. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    +3

fae

5. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    Ratings: +137 / 0

Just try and forget it now!
    AndreasJ likes this.
  6. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    Yeah, I had it on backwards. I cast it a few more times backward yesterday before I turned it around. Makes me wonder if the time Airflo spent on designing the taper of the Compact Skagit was worth it. It's like a piece of cable.

Wasn't there another post about casting this head backwards?
  7. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Paul, If you like the way it casts backwards then cast it that way.
    yuhina likes this.
  8. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Good point Poppy!

Here is some measurements I did a while back from factory-made skagit heads. you can see there are some variations in basically "tube" taper. In the Rio skagit short, the front taper is shorter than backtaper.

Airflo Compact Skagit 720 grain backtaper - 1' ; front taper 6'
    Airflo Compact Skagit 600 grain backtaper - 1' ; front taper 5'
    Airflo Compact Skagit 540 grain backtaper - 1' ; front taper 5'
    Airflo Skagit Switch 480grain backtaper - 1.5' ; front taper 4'
    Rio Skagit Short 375 grain backtaper - 1.25' ; front taper 0.5'
  9. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    The point of a skagit head is to have a ton of mass at the end of the head to turn over big flies and heavy tips so regardless of how a Skagit head of varying tapers is marketed they all end up feeling pretty much like a chord.

I personally love the Rio Skagit shorts because they take the "beer can" taper of the original Skagit head and turn it in to an old style "oil can" taper and I like the Airflo Skagit switch for the same reason. I've found that the added mass in a super short head makes the line jump off the rod regardless of what kind of junk I've decided to throw. The end result for me is that winter fishing becomes almost effortless and makes the cold, wet, fishless days much more tolerable.
  10. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +139 / 0
    Ian, you must like stripping!

Paul, i'd bet it doesn't matter much which end you attach to your running line. It would be fun to hear a report on this. I'll bet most compact skagits will cast about the same regardless or which end you use, and the difference, if there is one, will be even less if it's a compact switch skagit.
  11. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    Skinny dipping is fun also... in the right company :D

Since I rarely need to cast the rig more than 50 to 60 feet so the striping really isn't that bad. Plus there are times, especially in the winter, when the wind come howling out of Steven's and the only way to pull off a cast is to beat the wind in to semi-submission.

Oh, and come to think of it the 12' 8/9 Diawa is about as great an auto caster as one can find with a 450 Skagit switch head and it catches feeshes as well. As a matter of fact I was able to cast that Diawa from a nearly vertical riprap bank last weekend thanks to the Skagit switch.

Attached Files:

12. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +139 / 0
    Ian...painfully understood!