Which lines?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by rich, Mar 19, 2002.

1. rich

rich Guest

Have graduated from just floating lines to sink tip and sinking lines. Had good luck with sinking line at Pass Lake with a green bugger. Are sink tips just for "surface" wet fly fishing and sinking just for getting deep? What about chronomids? Looked like everyone was using sink tips and sitting there.
    Fished Coldwater Lake by St. Helens last summer and hooked a couple fish with egg/leech with a sink tip, should I be going deep with a full sink?
    On rivers, sink tip with a wet fly, floating with a dry? I know there's probably a million combinations but any rules of thumb. I've read the books but want to hear from the "experts"

2. chrisnwflyfish

chrisnwflyfish New Member

The good fly fishing books will tell you to stick with floating lines for dry flies and chironomid presentations and intermediate and full sinking lines for wet fly (nymphs and leaches) presentations in lakes. If you want some really good reading on fly fishing lakes, check out Fly Patterns for Stillwater by Philip Rowley and Morris & Chan on Fly Fishing Trout Lakes. I really like the Cortland 444 Type II steady sink rocket taper for a full sinking line.

Sink tips work best in the rivers. The best sink tips I have found are the SA Ultra III, Type IV and Type V. The weighted section is said to be 13 feet long, but if you measure the colored section, it will come out closer to 15 feet. These will work great for steelhead, salmon, and dolly varden. However, I prefer to make my own interchangable sink tips by cutting up cortland shooting heads. You will need both the type IV and the type V as every pool is different and requires a little bit different presentation and sometimes a line change is required. Remember to fish the sink tips off the bottom, low and slow. If you don't hook bottom once in a while, you are not getting deep enough.

Chris Grieve
    www.northwestflyfishingadventures.com :COOK