Which river?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Dan-O, Oct 2, 2013.

1. I wouldn't necessarily say they're good. I don't have any resources to compare it too, so that doesn't help any. I think it's one of those "grass is greener on the other side" scenarios. People were always talking about how the fishing was better in Washington when I was in Oregon, and now that I'm in Washington I hear people talking about the fishing being better in Oregon. I will say though, the D is an amazing river that I could fish for the rest of my life never touching another river and I would still have more amazing runs and pockets to fish than my life could contain. I can't wait to learn more of the rivers around here, it's just going to take some time.

2. Personally, I fish a different river every month. There's rivers or stretches of rivers I fish for December/ January hatchery steelhead, February/March wild fish, June/July summer runs, late summer runs, and fall summer run fishing. For each of these, I'd probably fish a different river. There are viable options for all of these within 1.5 hours from you and great 2 day trips within 4 hours of you. Don't think for a second that the Skykomish is your only option. There are a lot of fly-fishermen that will ignore other heavily planted rivers that lack classic runs in favor of the Skykomish. These are pretty important resources:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/plants/steelhead/2012.html
    https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/score/score/species/steelhead.jsp?species=Steelhead

There are fish in a lot of different local rivers. I would just explore and find some that suit your style.

3. Good info Cruik, thanks for sharing that. I'm definitely going to keep exploring the rivers around here, that's my favorite thing about fly fishing.

4. Nice video of the Sky. I floated that section for the first time on Sunday. River was running about 2700, which seemed to be a fair bit lower than in this clip. Glad I did my homework in advance on the first couple of riffles -- no issues getting through them. My son landed a couple of pinks but no chrome. I figured most of the pinks would be belly up by this point but there were a surprising number still swimming.

5. How is the wading and or floating on the Wenatchee?

6. Both pretty damn sketchy. Don't float anything above cashmere if you're not superman on the oars. And don't do the lower river if the idea of rowing a half mile against the current on the Columbia appeals to you.

The Wenatchee is known for having some of the slickest rocks anywhere.

7. Ditto what Evan said. Studded boots and a wading staff are both good ideas.

8. can confirm what evan and freestone said, grew up in Cashmere and have floated the Wenatchee from Leavenworth to Dryden and Dryden to Sleepy Hollow bridge. Drive and wade would be best bet but be careful, it doesn't appear to be a "scary" river but it kills its fair share of 206'ers every summer

Dan-O likes this.
  9. Studded wading boots aren't too bad, but aluminum stream cleats are way, way better.

If I drove over to the Wenatchee River and discovered I did not have my stream cleats and wading staff with me, I would not fish it.

Sg

10. did it with muck boots and neoprenes this weekend. only fell in once, can confirm that water is cold