Which Rod????

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jacob Peterson, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Jacob Peterson Member

Olympia, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    OK im in the market for a rod under 200$. Should I get an Eight weight or three weight, I have a six and five. I mostly do trout fishing and panfish, but accasionly target bass and carp.
  2. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    Can't beat a 3wt if you plan to fish some small headwater streams.
  3. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    No reason for the 8 weight unless you are targeting steelhead. A 3 weight is fun in small waters. I like 4 weights and fish them the majority of the time for trout, including lakes. I own 3 different 4 weights (as well as a 2,3,5,6,7,8 and 2 speys.)

Wayne
  4. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +569 / 0
    Wayne is right on. Can't get any better advice than that! iagree
  5. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    As stated a 4wt is hard to beat for trout since you've already got 5's and 6's. Most of my lowland trout fishing is done with a 4wt. The size of fish we normally run into is great sport on a 4 plus it is versatile enough for different lines and sizes of flies.
  6. colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

gig harbor, washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    go with a tiny 3wt, a 5 0r 6 is plenty to bring in a .5-1.5 pl bass, carp i don't really nkow about. i live in the wet side and i don't think we have carp. hell a 1pl bass is pretty nice over here:D
  7. Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

lynnwood, wa
    if you do plan to fish for salmon or steelhead, go for an 8. and colton, we do have carp. greenlake and sliver lake have huge ones. but these 2 lakes are a lot closer to seattle than gig.
  8. Jacob Peterson Member

Olympia, Washington
    Trying to get mumbles echo. But got to scrounge out the money and convince my parents which is a lot harder than it seems:(