Which running line do you preffer?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by John Hicks, Aug 23, 2007.

1. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +179 / 1
    James is finally sending me back my 9141 after abusing it for the last six months. He has been so generous as to send me a skagit system to use on it. Now I need to find the right running line for it. What does everyone use and why?
  2. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Monic .030
  3. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    Rio Powerflex Core .030.

It has little to no memory, floats well, easy to control, shoots well and is durable.
  4. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    Hahahaha....If only you could've seen what James did to that rod.

The airflo ridge running line seems like an interesting choice. Designed to better shoot line and tangle less.
  5. Big K1 Large Member

Duvall, WA, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Guidline .028 is my running line of choice. I have tried the airflo ridge and thought it was excellent also.
  6. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0

I fished with Steelie Mike couple days ago and he had that ridge line. When he shot line, it went, and went. There seemed to be hardly any drag. The casts seemed to go much farther than traditional line. My rio skagit line sounds and feels like a fine sandpaper as it goes through the guides when I shoot it.

So out of all these choices, which one is the slickest, least likely to tangle, and floats so when you shoot, you don't have to pull it up out of the water?
  7. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +179 / 1
    Well guys I went out and bought the Airflow ridge line and love it. It is like a dream come true as far as shooting line. It doesn't tangle (I fished 2 hours of continuous casting and only one tangle).
  8. Happy Gilmore New Member

Vancouver, BC
    John, did you buy the 30 lb floater? I assume it's floating fine to date? Does your packaging state 40 thou thickness? I found that on one website/sounds great to hold being thicker than others if all else is great.
  9. pescador do mosca "An under forty victim of fate..arriving too late"

IN
    Guideline shooter is pretty sweet stuff. I also have the the Airflo ridge in 30 lb. which is nice stuff but I have issues with it angling. I think it is the way I am handling the running line though.