Which TFO deer creek Spey?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by greenbuttskunk, Oct 29, 2013.

1. greenbuttskunk Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Which TFO deer creek Spey rod is most similar to the Meiser MKS 7/8 13'6"?
    Thanks for your input.
  2. Idaho steel Active Member

Clearwater
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    This is sort of tangential to your question, but: if you really dig the action of the MKS, a builder kit from Bob is only about forty beans more than a new deer creek. Something to consider I guess...

The deer creek that I owned was really betwixt-and-between the action of the MKS and the highlander classic. I couldn't say which deer creek is going to the absolute closest to that particular MKS, but really, I'd be more interested in choosing the best rod for your application, rather than trying to "cross reference" between rod series. My $.02
    sopflyfisher likes this.
  3. greenbuttskunk Member

4. greenbuttskunk Member

Idaho Steel thanks for the suggestion.
    I actually have the Meiser rod. I have a friend who digs it, but is not able to buy one at this time. Since the TFO rods are built on the same tapers (I believe), I figured one must be most similar. Anyway, your suggestion is still valid if he is able to build one himself.
    Thanks
  5. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +497 / 2
    Some of the deer creek rods are built on the highlander taper and some on the MKS taper. There is a speypages thread with info on it (perhaps from bob himself). I'll see if I can find it.

*please note that I know f--k all about tapers and what they mean. I just happened to come across the thread trying to figure out if I would like a 5/6 deer creek as much as I like my 6/7 deer creek.
  6. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +497 / 2
  7. Wadecalvin Member

Redmond Oregon
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    The 13' 7/8 is made after the MKS. You could PM Bob Mieser on Speypages.
  8. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    The TFO Deer Creek 13' 7/8.
  9. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +424 / 0

And I just happen to have one of them for sale in the classifieds if anyone's interested.

Edit: I had one for sale. Now Greenbuttskunk has it. Thanks, Kurt.