Whidbey beach suggestions

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by joecaffe, Jul 16, 2009.

1. joecaffe

joecaffe New Member

For the past year, my wife & I have spent nearly every weekend at our beach cabin located on the East Side of Whidbey near "East Point". I've enjoyed the close proximity to Lone Lake, but would really like to fish the beaches. The "point" near my cabin seems like it should produce, but has been marginal at best. After multiple attempts, I only had one good day last August, catching a dozen or so SRC, none over 12" and numerous small salmon (chinook I think). I've heard that the West side is better for Silvers & Pinks. Does this mean that the salmon just don't run up & down the East side? Can anyone steer me in a better direction.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

You've heard right. Concentrate on the area between Bush Point and Fort Casey. Now would be a good time to begin.

Leland.

3. Caveman

Caveman Member

There are some places on the East side to fish you just go to hunt for them.

Adam

4. bugboy9

bugboy9 Member

Leland is spot on. South end of Whidbey hit the West side like Leland suggested. North end of the Island, hit the east side.

5. Gary Strassburg

Gary Strassburg 'cuz chicks dig scars

The fish have to go around the island somehow to get to the Skagit, Stilly, and Snohomish rivers... mainly the Skagit. So the NE side is good for them. I think that once they get around the Island, they head straight across to the rivers, and don't hang out too long on the East side... unless maybe a really low tide.

The SRC like to hang out in the estuaries and bays of Whidbey before heading to the rivers... hence why you have caught more of the little buggers. West Beach... almost anywhere there is access to water is good Salmon fishing. Also Ft Casey and south through Lagoon Pt. is good.

Only thing about fishing for Pinks on Whidbey in the nice weather is that it's getting worse each year as far as combat fishing goes... beaches are crowded with anybody that can afford a walmart rod and reel and a half dozen pink buzz bombs. So I go at the crack of dawn if the tides allow it... most of the Yahoo's are not out that early...

But there are lots of places to catch fish in the salt on Whidbey...

Gary