Whidbey on Friday

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ken Hunter, Nov 24, 2008.

1. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Thanks for the great information guys. This doesn't sound too encouraging. I think I'll stick with fishing for feeding sockeye in the saltwater (better odds).

2. Gertie's Pa

Gertie's Pa New Member

In the Estuary Flyfisher the author, Steve Raymond, leaves the impression catching salt water steelhead is relatively common in the right conditions. According to Mr. Raymond extended periods of low water cause steelhead to bunch up in the estuaries making them viable targets. He even has a favorite fly to target them. I can't recall the name of the fly but it was a bright orange body, orange and white wing.:ray1:

3. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    Oh boy............. Ahhhh I can't do it. Somebody else please step in and tell this fine gentleman and angler the ugly truth about our Sound and Hood Canal steelhead runs. Coach

4. Marty Leith

Marty Leith Member

I can't believe I even post here...

Hey Delbertnipper and "my other brother Daryle", TL whatever...don't get the wrong impression here. I'm not looking for a gear report (sorry to disgrace the board with the word hoochie) and I don't doubt it's been done (I've read Steve Raymond's books too...). I guess I should have said "still exist" so sorry for the insinuation they don't but it won't be long.

In fact I will be the first to praise the next guy that gets into one! That's why I encouraged any and everyone to GO GET EM! I simply thought it would be cool to see a picture. Where's the harm is a little fun? :confused:

Personally I'd rather catch them in the river like you Leland ;). Doug - thanks for the history on the once productive fishery. p.s. I hope you got the money I sent your way for your Brandy I ended up drinking! :beer1:

Duffer - you are my ambassador of fishing quan...you complete me :rofl:

What a joke

5. Marty Leith

Marty Leith Member

By the way, what year was the Estuary Fly Fisher published?? My copy says 1996. A lot can happen in a few years to a delicate resourse...

Thanks again Doug

The pattern was Randy's Retiary

6. doug rose

doug rose Member

Marty--Yeah, Les gave me the money. Thanks. Doug

7. Marty Leith

Marty Leith Member

right on Doug. looking forward to fishin' with you again

8. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Here's a proposal. WFF sponsors the 1st annual Whidbey Fly Steel Tournament this winter. Entry fee is a 1976 Jefferson $2 bill or two Susan B Anthony coins (other threatened or endangered currencies may be considered). Contestants will be alllowed a maximum of 90 trips to the beach (preferably Bush Point or Lagoon) to catch a winter run steelhead. The first one to land and photograph a Whidbey Steelhead and post it into the gallery wins the entire pool (hatchery or wild). To verify the authenticity of the catch you must photograph yourself holding the fish while standing next to the Bush Point Bed & Breakfast pier with a copy of that day's Whidbey News Times paper clearly visible. You will also need to have an authentic Islander witness your catch who must sign and date the contest form in the presence of a notary. Oh, and keep a scale sample for scientific verification. This contest is fly fishing only (ie- no hoochies or spin&glows). Also, in the interest of making this thing last more than a few days no one will be allowed to use Steve Raymond's deadly sure thing pattern, the "Randy's Rietary" (especially at low tide). The winner will take the lead in setting up a BBQ to enjoy the fruits of his/her success with the rest of us (unless of course it is the last of the wild Duwamish steelhead race).

9. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    sign me up coach! ive smoked enough weed in the past 24 hours that I'm pretty sure anything is possible! right on gentlemen. lets make-r-happen.

10. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Next time you'e at Bush and you see a guy fly fishing in a carhart vest smoking a BIG stogie - ask him about fly fishing bush point for steelhead. Sink tip line and popper flies in the appropriate color. Most of the takes come between strips as the fly turns and begins to float up- same idea with the hootchy.

Now the only fish I've hooked (gear) I lost. I have seen steelhead holding right in front of the beach access at Sandpiper and remain there for an hour or more... I've also seen steelhead swim around my fly as if it was in the way haha

I've still not made my first trip of the season, but I agree with Leland, it seems the best time to fish is after a big water event that puts the fish on the move

11. Ken Hunter

Ken Hunter Member

Well guys, I did not fish on Friday. That weather forcast was wrong and the wind did blow close to 40. It's tough enough out there without asking for a bad day.

Anyway my only fish came in mid winter a couple years ago. It was a nice 8lb wild hen at Lagoon point. It hit an orange and yellow Saulk River Shrimp pattern, about 30 ft out, high in the water column. It was a good looking fish. No camara but I did have a witness.

While that is my only fish, I will be back because I just like the beach up there. I've heard of a person that fished the area with a pink jig well into early summer. He kept to himself but others saw him a lot. I also talked to a guy that had some luck at Mukilteo State Park. It's a lot closer for a lot of us. In fact we all might be overlooking areas that are just as productive as Whidbey right under our nose. We just don't fish it.

By the way, my only fish came with the wind blowing 40.

Ken

12. Tom H

Tom H saltchuck

FYI - For those who want to see a saltwater steelhead pic, I found this shot of a gear caught steelhead from a local beach on another site......can't see if it has an adipose or not but the angler says in his post that he kept it.

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReportList2.aspx?id=12

13. steelhawk

steelhawk New Member

I've been researching this a bit since I first saw this post. It sounds intriguing to try to catch one of these salty steelhead.

I've noticed in a few places, mostly on gear sites, that you shouldn't stand in the water when fishing for them off the beach (one even mentioned it being looked down upon to wade out at all as chances are you'll spook the fish). Does that apply for fly fishing for them as well? It seems most of these fish are caught right up at the shoreline, so I guess that makes sense. Just seems difficult to get out far enough without going into the water at least partially.

Also, what kind of retrieves do you typically use when fishing out there? Floating or sinking line?

I'm not sure yet if I'll ever give it a try, I spend enough time in the rivers not catching steelhead, but it still piques my interest for some odd reason.

14. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    with most being caught in close why would "getting out far enough" be an issue except psychologically? the sound is big but its doesnt require you to cast across it. i see a lot of beach anglers with this mentality. waded as deep as possible throwing as much line as possible.

ive never caught one but those i know who are successful (thats relative) quarter casts along the beaches with intermediate lines and lightly weighted attractor patterns. more than anything im sure it is just being in the right place at the right time.

there is a lot of water out there and unfortunatly not many steelhead.