Whip Finish Incapable

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by freestoneangler, Apr 5, 2012.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I have never been able to master the whip finish, free hand, tools or otherwise....there, I've said it. I keep trying once in awhile only to get frustrated, saying F-it, and going back to multiple half-hitches to finish my ties. Since I always dope with "hard as nails" or zap-it anyway, and rarely have thread start unwinding while in use, I suppose my method is good enough...but for some reason it still pisses me off I cannot master the whip finish.

Anyone else suffer this disease...misery loves company :D

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

I'm with you, but I've only been tying for a couple of months so I still hope to get it down eventually. I'm just glad that someone else finds it tricky.

3. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

The Martinelli tool makes it much easier. Go to u tube and watch Davy McPhail use his. It is as simple as can be. I know, if you don't know how to do it, it isn't simple. But when you master it, you will wonder why it was difficult. Just take it slow. It will work for you.
    I had the same problem with the Uni knot. DUH!

4. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

I think it depends on which too you are using. The free rotation tools with fixed hooks are best for me, i know they have a specific name, but cant recall it. The alternative tool is a spring loaded machine, which i could never master despite have three different sizes of the same tool.

I suggest switching from the tool you are trying to use, be it spring loaded or free rotation-fixed hook, to the other type of tool. Also, next time you're in a fly shop, ask one of the assistants to give you a demonstration.

5. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

6. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

YES! Me too. Who cares, I don't.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I struggled, but finally figured it out. Then at a tying session a friend said I was doing it backwards...well, I'm still doing it backwards and hundreds, maybe thousands of flies later they all fish well. I second the video watching approach. That worked for me.

8. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

go on youtube and watch the videos and get a whip finisher that had a rotating head makes it a lot easier

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Never learned how to use a whip finisher, but I find it pretty easy to do it just twirling my fingers. I think a little one-on-one instruction would make it easy enough to learn.

Blake Harmon likes this.
  10. fisherjon

fisherjon Member

hey i see it as long as you finish off a fly in a way that the thread doesnt unwind and you apply some type of glue to it that will keep it together your good unless your tying a permit fly then i think you should make sure you whip finish it good because you cant put glue on it because they can smell it

11. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

When you are ready to tie off, hit the thread with superglue and do a couple more wraps. Dave Whitlock use to do this on some of his ties making the whip finish unneeded.

12. freestoneangler

I've been told I wind my thread backwards as well. I wind counter-clockwise if viewed from the front/eye of the hook. If that's backwards, my question is "according to who"? I started that way and I'll finish that way....it works well for me.

13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I agree. I'll teach you how to whip finish bassackwards if you wish. You might catch grief from friends...or you might just catch fish and not care.

14. freestoneangler

That's probably why the instructions to the whip finish tools aren't worth a shit to me... kinda like using left handed scissors or golf clubs... what's with that? Everyone knows the "right hand rule" prevails in the world of science and fly tying :D

15. Olive bugger

If you wish, tie a granny knot in the thread to finish the tie. It is not a serious life threatening situation, no matter how passionate you are about fly fishing. But, and there is always a but, teaching yourself a skill will give you an edge in the world, no matter what it might be. The half hitch and the whip finish are neither difficult or complicated.

But if your choice is to not take the time to learn, then tie what ever works for you. I am certain that the fish will not notice nor care what you use to finish the tie.

16. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

I make my students practice on a bare hook untile they master the whip finisher befor they get to tie their first fly. If they don't get it I flog them with a wet rabbit skin. Tere is no giving up because it is too hard. This is not a hobby for whiners.;)

17. Olive bugger

Not the old wet rabbit skin punishment. Do you lash them to a fly rod and rip the shirt off their back, like in the movies?
    :eek:

18. dfl

dfl Active Member

Whatever works for you is the way to go. It doesn't matter and no one cares.

19. Marc Stelting

Marc Stelting Member

Freestoneangler- I am with you. I have fought it for years and finally decided to hell with it- yes, bad atitude. Maybe one of these days I will head over to jesse's for a class and learn. I do same about the half hitches and some gookumpucky, and good to go. It has worked for 25 years, but no excuses.

20. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

I will fess up now. The whip finish tool for many is hard to learn. I use all three methods as needed; the whip finish tool, whip finishing with my fingers and the half hitch method. I think the tool works best for most tyers if they learn it early. It is hard to learn from watching video. I teach students by having them stand behind me then working with thm until they get it. I really do make them practice on a bare hook until they are comfortable with the tool before we move on to tying. The other thing is the choice of tools there simply are some that are easier to teach than others.