whip it..........whip it good (Fly Tying Question)

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by LeakyTiki, Jun 7, 2004.

1. LeakyTiki Member

Tulalip, Wa, USA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    As a fairly new fly tyer I am wondering how many of you use a whip finisher?

If yes, what kind do you prefer?

I know guys that use one everytime and others that just use a half hitch.

Thanks for the help,
    LT:smokin
  2. ZugBug Member

Castle Rock, Colorado
    Thanks for sticking that song in my head for the rest of the day!;)

I use a couple half hitches on my flies. Been doing it since I was a youngster and got tired of fumbling with my POC whip finisher.
  3. baseballandfishing New Member

covington, wa, usa.
    use a whip finisher. Buy any one of the tools, or learn to do it by hand. Makes good knots and is real fast once yet get the hang of it.

Joe
  4. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,102 / 0
    :) So you are making some Olive Wooly Buggers are you Dave? I have a Materelli whip finisher that I have used about a dozen times in the last ten years. I don't like the monkey-motion action of the damned thing and prefer a simple half hitch tool. I have tied thousands of flies using just 3 half hitches and a drop of head cement. Except for the ones I gave to Old Man Jim my flies have all stayed together too. Half hitch tools are not that common any more and seem difficult to find but having no moving parts and never wearing out they are not big sellers at your local fly shop. Try that whip finisher before you buy, they are not for everyone. Ive
  5. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,713 / 0
    I use the barrel of two pens for my half hitch tools. One for bigger flies and one for tiny flies. But most of the time I use a whip finisher.

And Ive I haven't tried the others you gave me as for them falling apart. I haven't been close to any water since I came home from Ropers place. I seem to have lost my desire to fish anymore.

I seem like an old man just getting older.

Jim
  6. Randy Knapp Active Member

Warm Springs, Virginia, USA.
    I prefer the Materelli (sp?)whip finisher but have also used half hitches. Both work okay but I like the whip finisher best because that is what I learned first.

Randy

" When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee" Isaiah 43:2
  7. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Whip finish as much as you can, more secure than half hitch. I use half hitch only when I do not have enough room to whip it. I use Dr Slicks rotating whip tool. Only 5 bucks at Sportco. Great deal.

Peter ><>

Mark 12:30-31
  8. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +248 / 1
    My two cents

Forget the whip finisher. Forget the half hitch tool. Learn to do it by hand. Why bother using a tool to do something so simple?
    Think about it. Isn't thread control and hand/eye coordination an essential key to good tying?
    Four whips or half hitches and a drop or two of cement and you are good to go.

TC
    --------* <O>>>><
  9. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +69 / 0
    I also whip finish by hand. I have some half hitch tools too, but don't know how to use them. I've been doing it since I was a kid, but I do use a bobbin threader. Go figure. For me it is faster the way I do things. For you, you'll have to see what's best for you.

Matt Burke
  10. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +115 / 0
    I probably wouldn't know how to use a whip finish tool. I've been whip finishing my flies with my fingers for 32 years. It's quite easy, once you learn how, and both neater and more secure than half-hitches.

I'm tempted to try to describe it, but on second thought, that couldn't work, could it? Find someone who can show you how it's done.
  11. luv2fly2 Active Member

.othello
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    it is important to know how to use your fingers if your tools are lost for that fly.
  12. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    I used to whip finish by hand, but the arthritis got the better of me. Now it's a Matarelli whip finisher for me.

REE
  13. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +684 / 5
    Actually, I used to do them by hand (whip finish). How I started (mostly because I couldn't figure out those cheap wire whip finishers). Then I tried a buddies materelli, and fell in love. I actually like it, and with my big hands helps out alot (I wear an XXL glove). So doing intricate work sometimes is hard for me without pulling out 2 yards of extra thread. :D But I have to use a whip finish, since alot of my flies are going to customers. They want a nice clean head (though it doesn't really effect the fishing). It's helped me out. But I don't buy the materelli brand. I buy the knockoff of it. Look identicle, and work the same. Plus, they're $13 cheaper. Has actually sped up my tying (mostly because, i have alot of rewinding thread on spool when I'm done because of my hands). But with a good materelli type whip finisher, it should seem like the whip finish is doing it on it's own. If you're doing it correctly.
  14. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,226 / 0
    One thing nobody's mentioned is how you can use a whip finisher to build up a head at the same time you're tying off. I use a Matarelli and usually give it about ten turns or so before trimming.

But on small dries (size 18 or less) I prefer to use three or four half hitches as the whip finisher usually won't easily fit into the small space between the hackle and the eye.
  15. troutaholic Member

University Place, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I like to whip finish by hand, it seems quicker than the tool and it's one less thing to futz with. I do use half hitches (at least 4) to finish smaller flies or ones with a bead or cone head where the head butts right up to the eye. The whip finish heads seem to hold up better, in my opinion anyhow... :beer2
  16. LeakyTiki Member

Tulalip, Wa, USA
    " So you are making some Olive Wooly Buggers are you Dave?"

Well Ive,
    Ever since you crushed my little feelers by calling me "one fly Dave" in the OHF2 thread I have expanded my horizons. I now also tie the wooley bugger in black and sometimes even vary the size!! can you imagine?

Actually, I have been experimenting with dubbed bodies instead of chenile, though that triobal antron is very fishy. I kind of designed my own damsel nymph pattern that has worked very well for me. It is just a sparse maraboo tail with a sparkle dubbed body with chain eyes.

I just bought my first rotory vise and if nothing else, it makes me want to tie more bugs.

I have some video of LeRoy Hiatt, of "Fly Tying the Anglers Art" fame, and he makes it look so darn easy to whip finish. He makes everything look easy IMHO

I am going to attend the open table on June 15th at the fly shop in Monroe and am anxious to see how the pros do it.

Thanks everyone for your input, even you Ive.;-)

LT:beer2

P.S. my 2 cents
    I have always just built a head and finished with 4 half hitches and a drop of cement. It has worked so far:thumb
  17. willieboat Member

Lacey, WA
    I think that as you continue to tie, you'll find that using a whip finisher gives you much tighter heads, than whipping it by hand. You really don't need to use head cement when you use a whip finisher.
    Some also think that using a bobbin is not like the old ways.........:thumb
  18. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    LT,
    I have no problem whipfinishing by hand. I have a Matarelli-style tool, and although I was shown how to use it once and thought I had it, by the time I tried to use it again, I'd forgotten how and coulnd't figure it out.(Seemed easy enough when I was shown how, though).
    I use whatever is handy... scissor tips, toothpick, pen tip...anything that tapers to a point, to hold the loop while I pull on the thread to tighten the whip.

:dunno Jimbo
  19. barbless Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    I am a new tyer also, and have tried both the Matarelli whip finisher and the hand whip finish. I prefer the using the tool - I find it faster and more accurate than whips done by hand, particularly on smaller flies. However, its important to understand the method so that you can tie the thing by hand if you don't have the tool handy.

barbless