White/Stuck River Fly Fishing only C&R Oct

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Greg Price, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Hey,

I was double checking the regs for the Puyallup and noticed the White River is open this month for Fly Fishing Only .

Has anyone fished it? If so, how was it?

I have been slamming the pinks and a few wild coho plus hatchery coho with conventional gear on the Puyallup.

Just wondering if the White gets any of these fish.

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Greg,

The White receives runs of chinook (spring and fall), coho, pinks, chum, bull trout, steelhead, and the very occasional cutthroat. Except for a majority of the spring chinook and a few of the steelhead in the ESA recovery program (haa! sounds like AA for steelhead), all the fish are wild, well except for some hatchery strays from the Puyallup.

Sg

3. Greg Price

Thanks Salmo. Not sure if I will try it. The pinks have slowed way down on the Puyallup so I assume the only fish left in the White are "zombie" pinks. Not much fight to the spawned out fish. The Puyalup/Carbon has a hatchery supporting hatchery coho plus I have hooked a few native coho - very fun. The natives thrash the water and are quite spunky.

4. Greg Price

"Slamming" was an incorrect word. "Catching" and gently releasing wild coho, dispatching and eating hatchery fish is a more appropriate version of what my fishing experience has been like for the past month on the Puyallup.