White Wooley Bugger?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Golden Trout, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

Perhaps others watched "Fishing With Ladin" and his trip to Omak lake. I have never fished Omak lake because I have a Lahonton fishery within 10 minutes of my house. The trout in the near by lake exhibit the same behaviors as those in Omak lake. That is they cruise the shallows in pods and normally stick there nose up and shy away from any offerings. Ladin and partner seemed to do fairly well on "White Wolley buggers". Anyone have any idea just what a white wooley bugger might represent?

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I've always figured they are some manner of actractor pattern. This isn't much in the subsurface aquatic world that is all white in color. Even the baitfish are dark on the top. Sometimes, the patterns we use don't really look like anything in the real world: like a Royal Wulff.

I try not to over analyze the thoughts of a fish. :)

3. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I saw that Fishing with Ladin episode yesterday. Gets me interested in fishing Omak.

4. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Definitely a baitfish IMO, I've caught a number of fish, trout and salmon on white buggers and leaches. Even if the resident bait is darker, when it's stripped though the water I don't think there is any question...what else could it be? Same with brown, possibly baitfish or crawdad, same with olive or black maybe a sculpin as well as a leach. Just my opinion.

5. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    I fished a lake up in BC that had cruisers. I used a chronie under an indicator. I feel that method is easier as it says in the "circuit lane" lots longer. I feel the white woolly bugger is just an attractor pattern for the fish.

6. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    What do you think fish did the first time they witnessed a real leech? I think fish often times eat things not because it really is something they are used to eating, but because it "Looks Like Food". With that though I do understand that at times fish become tunnel visioned and will not touch it if it doesn't look very close to what they are eating. Take a good chironomid hatch for example. Right before a hatch fish will eat a variety of foods but often times once the hatch starts their brains switch into a different mode that possibly only allows them to see just the mids they are looking for. When the hatch slows down again the fish will start eating other things.

I've done well with white often times when fish are just looking for something to eat.

7. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

A white bugger with a red throat has been a staple of mine for years. Somehow it seems to work well in spring and then again in late fall. Those Atlantic salmon in Hosmer would be all over a white bugger in the fall. I miss that place and East Lake too......

Ive

8. Jeff Studebaker

Jeff Studebaker Kayak Fly Angler

True that baitfish are only white on the underside...unless they're swimming belly-up. I always thought fish were taking the white bugger to be a weak/sick baitfish unable to right itself.

9. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

I too have had good luck with a white wolley bugger tied with a grey grizzly hackle---a red throught is frequently added. Nearly dead minnows are frequently a very light color---and have a jerky jigging and sometimes spiral swimming pattern.

10. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Omak lake is actually full of white w/black mottling sculpins the, big cutties love em. Have even seen them beach themselves chasing em. I was at omak lake yesterday, about the same time this thread was initiated. Action was about as fast as I've ever seen it. Weather was nasty, casting straight into a stiff breeze, and raining like hell(it was snow on the hillside above the lake). I landed seven fish in less than an hour, with several ldr's and misses. At one point three casts equalled three fish. The biggest was only about twenty five inches or so, most the others right around twenty. Not white buggers, but one of my secret omak lake streamers that have been working miracles. I'll post up pics when I get back from work.

ganglyangler, Irafly and Jeff Dodd like this.
  11. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    Geez.... with all this information we'll have everybody (lurkers included) fishing Omak this next weekend.

On a serious note: TJ thanks for the info. It fills in what the fishing show didn't give the "why" on.

12. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

Media:
    you promised pics...:)

13. Long Rodder

Long Rodder New Member

I saw the episode also. I was really paying attention trying to figure out when they were fishing...spawning colors, wildflowers, etc led me to think late May? But it sounds like others here have been very successful there at other times as well.

Lived in Okanogan many years ago and never fished this particular lake, even though I knew about it. May have to give it a try this spring. Anybody here know if there is a public boat launch there?

14. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    There was a boat and trailer right behind them where they were fishing.

15. Couleeflyfisher

Couleeflyfisher Member

Take 155 out of Omak toward Disautel, about 4 mi. turn right at St. Mary's Mission Rd. down to N. end of Omak Lake. You need a tribal permit. If using a pontoon several access places on west side and south end.

16. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Well, I have never fished Omak and I probably will not. So the treasure is safe. Even if I did fish it, there is not a lot of danger to the fish.

As far as the white bugger goes, perhaps it triggers a strike from movement of the soft feathers. Kinda of a I see, I eat, program. The only thing that might actually live in the water that is white might be, as stated a small bait fish sans dark back, or perhaps a white wax worm.

A hungry trout will take most anything that moves and is smaller than it is. The problem is finding a hungry trout.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  17. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

This makes the most sense to me.

But honestly I don't care why they work... like a Royal Wulff that also doesn't really look like a natural anything... they work.

18. Olive bugger

Dang it! You guys have caught me. Now I will have to go tie some white woolies for next spring. Getting ready to tie some black, olive and brown ones for a friend, so I will also throw in some white ones.
    If they work for me, I will let you know.

Kcahill likes this.
  19. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Tie some with white hackle and some with grizzly. The fish sometimes prefer one style over the other.

20. Olive bugger

And perhaps a tad bit of small tinsel for flash in among the hackle.