White Wooley Bugger?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Golden Trout, Nov 18, 2012.

1. dont forget yellow.

2. Yellow is pretty close to olive. I think I will stick with that.

Oh what the heck. Yellow!

Kcahill likes this.
  3. I use them in the lakes down here that have crappie fry in them. They work well in the fall for me. I tie them with a tinsel chenile body sometimes, either gold or silver. I also like a touch of red, either 1 turn of red hackle in front or some red flashy stuff mixed in the tail.

4. I must be doing something wrong. One of the most productive pattern styles for me in stillwaters is a WB.

But I have never caught a fish yet with one that includes any manner of flash.

Weird.

I given some thought to the lakes where white WBs work the best for me and I still have to conclude they are simply an attractor to the trout and as pointed out above, they look like something to eat.

Similar to a white Rooster Tail.

5. You make a valid point about the flash in a fly. I sometimes suspect it attracts the fisherman more so than the fish. I have to concede that it does perhaps catch the fish's eye in a situation where he might otherwise not see the fly or would not pay attention to it.

But I may be tainted, because I am easily distracted by shiny items.

6. From a fishes point of view, everything is food until proven otherwise. :)

7. This is the very reason why I will not use swivels anymore. I am absolutely certain that they eat them.

8. I've always felt that flash only works during clear days and at fairly shallow levels. And sometimes, I think flash can work against you. I was concerned that the fish could see the shinny split shot I used so I dunked them in gun bluing to dampen down the shine and they do seem to work better than when they were shinny.

I don't harvest fish these days but when I was growing up, my Dad certainly did take his limit (plus a few :) ) When we'd gut the fish there was a multitude of weird-ass stuff in the stomachs of the fish.
    Leaf particles, pine needles, tiny pebles... etc.

Evidently, they mistook these items as food. Perhaps, as noted above, fish look for a reason not to eat something and not so much a reason to eat it. I know my goldfish would sample gravel on the bottom of my aquarium and then spit it out when they decided it wasn't food.

I do know for sure that a white WBs only work for me in specific lakes during specific times of the year. In some fisheries, they don't work worth a damn. So who knows why they work when they do? We'll never really know. Just one more puzzle in this game we call flyfishing.

9. As far as fish food, I was teaching my Grandson to fish in one of the local lakes. He caught a couple of nice trout and wanted to take them home for supper. I told him that if he killed the fish that he would have to clean it and cook it. I would help him. He thought that was a capital idea. So we did. When we opened one of the fish, it had a kid's rubber toy in it's stomach. The rubber had absorbed water and had completely filled the fishes stomach. He was either very hungry or very mean.

10. Ahhhh... the "part 2" of the Fishing with Ladin Omak Lake trip. They used chronies under indicators on that show. I feel so much better seeing little balls of fluff get yanked underwater. Showed lots of fish cruising the shallows.

11. How about that German Shepherd on Part II? That was the best guest they have ever had on!

Ive

12. A white bugger tied with some gray hackle is often the best in lakes when the shad are busting the surface. In the Delta the fly of choice without question is a white clouser with some chartreuse on the back. Threadfin shad are the main meal for the stripers and LMB there.