Whitetails in Ocean Shores?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Gertie's Pa, Dec 25, 2008.

1. I live in Ocean Shores and the deer are thick all over town. I have blacktails running through my yard almost daily in spite of my shorthair pups best effort to keep them out. I saw a nice buck yesterday but something didn't look quit right about it. I looked closer and noticed the rack looked like that of a whitetail. All the tines came off the main beams that curved in toward each other. I know there's a small population of protected whitetails in Pacific Co. near Illwaco. I wonder if they've expanded their range or if the state has transplanted a few north of Grays Harbor. I just wondered if anyone out there has seen any whitetails in this area or have any info about this?:hmmm:

2. This is what I believe, may not be facts.
    Whitetail deer are very adaptable. They seem to be able to live in close to people.
    What I believe is the range of the white tail deer will be from coast to coast.
    Fact: I have seen whitetail deer on the crest of Twisp pass, no reason the whitetail deer don't keep going down the other side and populate the west side of Washington.
    Fact: I have had a whitetail deer in my yard here in East Wenatchee.
    Fact: Whitetail deer have been cross breding with mule deer.

3. Bring them on! Let them grow "East Coast" rampant! Hell I would love to have a west side Whitetail issue! More to hunt! to hear of a population control hunt would be awesome! Archery only of course :)

4. Growing up in PA, I had a herd of wild Whitetail deer near my house that lived on about 10 acres of wooded land completly surrounded by residental developments. They seemed to keep their population size at around 8 - 10 deer with no more than 2 bucks at any given time. I watched them almost daily for the first 25 years of my life. Big bucks, 8 - 10 points with antlers about as round as a full grown man's wrist. One buck would disappear and the next spring another appeard to take it's place. How they maintained that doe to buck ratio was a mystery but they did. May have been poachers or something. 9 years later that herd is still there and still the same size according to my pops.

Having said that, That can not happen on the west side of this state. The food sources are not here. Blacktail won that evolutionary battle.

5. Gary,
    I'm certain whitetails and mulies interbreed but I don't believe they produce fertile offspring.
    Cross breeding between blacktails and mulies are more likely to produce fertile offspring since they are closely related anyway.

Jofus G.,
    I have to respectfully disagree that whitetails cannot survive on the west side. They have for eons in the protected Columbia Whitetail. There is a small number of them in Pacific County right in the heart of blacktail country. It wouldn't surprise me at all if a few have migrated to the north beach areas north of Grays Harbor. I agree with Gary that whitetails are extremely adaptable and expanding their range.

6. Next time do your best to look at the tail. that is the most sure sign.

7. delbertnipper,
    I believe your right about the whitetail muley cross being non-fertile.
    The point I was trying to make was that the whitetail bucks were being more aggressive than the muley bucks.
    Maybe the blacktail bucks are still being the boss deer on the westside of the Cascades and coast range.
    I grew up in Southern Oregon and have seen Muley/Blacktail crosses, short legs, big body.
    My friend that hunts outside of Spokane showed me a picture of a buck he thinks is a whitetail/muley cross. I didn't see the tail, but the antlers are different enough to make a guy think the buck was a cross.
    I'm with CoastalCutt on getting a good look at the deers tail, that would be a sure sign.

8. I don't disagree. They are adaptable and can survive in places a lot worse than the west side and some apparently do. I'm not doubting they are over here. But why would they migrate? The habitat east of the mountains is far better suited to them. Hell, a goldfish can survive in a toilet bowl but I'm sure if you gave it a choice, It would pick a lake.

9. Ha, ha, ha.
    Toilet bowl and western Washington, now that is funny.
    Or did I miss the point.

10. I saw a white tail 100 miles from the Alaska border in Yukon territory once

11. :rofl: No point really