WHITING SPEY HACKLE... GOOD?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by stilly stalker, Nov 13, 2012.

1. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Always looking for new materials for intruders, tubes etc. This stuff looks nice, but how long are the fibers, and how stiff is the quill? Anyone tried it and love it, or should I stick with Schlappen for this type of stuff?

2. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Schlappen works well but if you know anyone who hunts snow geese the flank and breast feathers make great super long and supple spey hackle. They are easy to die as long as you decrease the feathers first. This can be done with any high end dish soap.

3. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

Media:
    Buy rooster Capes. Hen are to short

4. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    I like the spey hackle "OK." The "fancy duc spey" in my gallery is tied with those spey hackles. The longest hackles are on the rump, but they are thinnest and have the most broken barbs. The file noted above is tied with a feather from the middle of the cape. The fly is a 3/0, so it's plenty big. Don't strip one side of the hackle, it needs both side of the feather to make a full wrapping.

Definitely want to counterwrap with brass wire or something similar, as the delecate feathers may not survive an encounter with pissed off Steelhead.

For smaller spey/dee type flies, I still like the burned goose, but Schlappen would still take the cake (IMO) for flies smaller than 1.5 (Alec Jackson) or 1/0.

I've got some Bird Fur too, not sure I care for that much at all, not yet anyway. I've only had it in the materials box for 4 years, so I'm sure I'll find a use for it sooner or later.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=49686

5. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks!!

6. FT

FT Active Member

Whiting Spey Hackle is good stuff if you are tying spey and dee flies. Nice long, very flexible, but without lots of web hackle barbs with a fine, flexible feather stem. I prefer the rooster necks because they have the largest range of size feathers on them. However, if all you are planning on tying are large flies (i.e. 1.5 and 3/0 Alec Jackson Spey Hooks, 1/0, 2/0, and 3/0 Partridge Bartleet Hooks, McNeese's largest hook, etc. the rooster saddles are a good choice. The spey hackle hen necks have smaller hackle and are only good for smaller flies (#5 and #7 Alec Jackson Spey Hook, #4 and0# 6 Partridge Bartleet Hooks, #2 and #4 Bob Ververka Classic Salmon Hook/Alec Jackson River Spey Low-water Hook).

I've been using them since the 4th generation of birds (which means since around 2001) and find they are pretty much a dead ringer for the old, now extinctSpey Cock hackle I've seen on antique spey and dee flies. Plus, it is available in many useful colors as well as heron grey (used on most spey flies) and black (used on most dee flies).

As has been mentioned, don't strip one side of the feather, instead double the feather either before you tie it in, or on the hook as you wrap the feather. Whiting Spey Hackle is much easier to use and lower priced than Blue-eared Pheasant. And schlappen is no comparison at all and in fact, schlappen is a very poor second to Whiting Spey Hackle.

Be careful though and don't buy Whiting Bird Fur to use as spey hackle. Bird Fur is like a long Chick-a-bou feather. It has its uses, but spey hackle isn't one of them. I mention this because I've seen some on-line retailers, on-line fly tying material purveyors, and even some fly shops selling or marketing Bird Fur as spey hackle. It isn't.

Tacoma Red likes this.
  7. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    those look pretty good
    nice tie by the way

8. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    Thanks!

9. kelvin

kelvin Active Member