who can afford...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nol, May 8, 2014.

1. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0

I do. why? because cheaper gear does not perform to the level I require. heck a lot of high end s tuff doesn't either but the high end gear that I use does.
    Randall Clark and Dave Evans like this.
  2. Dustin Bootz Team Nate

Snohomish
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    [IMG]
    Andrew Shoemaker likes this.
  3. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +293 / 0
    The bottom line is the performance of the rod in the hands of the buyer. If the name or a price point gets in the way, that falls directly on the fisherman.

If it takes a $100 rod to get the job done, then u are a very lucky man. I want to fish with you.
    If it takes a $300 rod to get the job done, then u are somewhat lucky.
    If it takes a $600 rod to get the job done, i hope you had casting lessons prior to the purchase.
    If it takes a $1000 rod to get the job done, I am clueless as to how bad a fisherman you must be and wish you nothing but the best of luck.

The beauty of the system is that most can give/get top shelf performances, but at different cost. Some are just luckier than others.

I fall in the somewhat lucky to lucky range.
    Old Man likes this.
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,659 / 0
    Hell, I ain't good at anything except on growing old.
  5. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0

hmmmm I wonder how much a set of tiger woods's golf clubs cost???

I would argue that a 100 dollar rod does NOT get the job done and a thousand dollar rod does. yes there is that much difference in performance. that is if you get the right 1000 dollar rod.

some high end rods are worth the money because of the level of performance you get others are not and you cannot tell the difference is you don't have the skill level to access the rods performance.

back to Tiger Woods clubs..

I have not been on a golf course since Jr High nearly 30 years ago.. If i picked up a set of clubs at a garage sale for 10 bucks I'd probably shoot around an 80 on a nine hole course. if I had Tiger Woods clubs I'd probably do about the same.. If Tiger woods took my clubs from the Garage sale he'd probably shoot a 30 or whatever ( i don't know what a good score would be) With his own clubs he'd probably shoot a 28 or 29.. Now.. for me i'd be so happy with a 30 that lowering it to a 29 or 28 wouldn't even be worth thinking about However for Tiger Woods He wouldn't be happy with a 30 he'd be desperate to get his clubs back so that he could get a 28.

performance matters.. the more skilled the angler the more the tiny differences between a good rod and a great rod become hugely important.

My last low end trout rod was a st croix imperial. I did well with it but i do MUCH MUCH better with my high end rods because I can access performance that the St croix did not have.
    golfman44 likes this.
  6. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +297 / 0
    I buy made in America- because I want to support companies that keep jobs stateside. SAGE rods!!!! I really dont care if they are a bit more $. I get a lot of satisfaction from knowing they are made in the USA
    Nautilus reels are still made in the USA too.
    I often laugh when the same people that bitch about the loss of American manufacturing jobs buy cheap chinese shit " because it has a warranty"
    Ill take a crap in a box, and put a warranty on it! If you dont like it, Ill send you another box of crap
    scottybs and Rob Allen like this.
  7. weiliwen Active Member

Chicago Illinois
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    The problem with that analysis is, Stilly, that it's incorrect. Foreign-made goods can be of high quality. The fact is, we're all part of the world now.

My old boss bought himself a Buick recently because it was "made in the USA." In fact, it was built in Canada. Then he says, well, it's an American company. I pointed out that it's a public company and that a stockholder might be a California pension fund or a Saudi prince. Additionally, many, many parts are sourced overseas, as are parts of your "made in the USA rod," unless you can let me know where the US cork oak farm is. "Made in USA" is a marketing tool to make people feel patriotic, or something like that, but has little bearing in reality. A good quality product is a good quality product, no matter where it's made. Do not kid yourself that you're stemming the exodus of manufacturing jobs by buying a rod from a company that employs 25 people. Very true, many price-point items are sourced overseas, but that is the subject of this thread, isn't it? An inexpensive rod will more than likely be built where costs are lower. An high-quality rod will be made where the craftsmen are, regardless of price.

So, to compare foreign-made goods to a box of crap is ludicrous and insulting.
    Gary Knowels and Tim Cottage like this.
  8. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    I'm not saying they're all crap- I'm saying buying a cheaper piece of gear because it has a warranty is not always the smartest decision
  9. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    And yes- although many parts are sourced globally- I will still try hard to support companies doing any manufacturing in the USA
  10. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +998 / 0
    While I agree with your premise, it's no secret that golf takes much more finesse and skill than fly fishing, so gear does matter more on that front.
  11. Akuriko Member

Ratings: +11 / 0
    I like my golf myself and in my opinion callaway is the best for clubs, :D

as for the foreign made fly rods well, to each there own, besides chinese or korean is good quality too with a warranty plus not many people have the cash to plunk down on the finesse of the finesse of fly rods so they look at affordability and sometimes quanity over quality. besides most people base the good quality fly rods that are foreign made with the worranty or there pocket book, i base mine on pocket book, :D all companys can be american made even if there outsourced, i prefur american made then again im a point of my life where everything is slowly going over to china, singapore, taiwan, the phillipines,korea over american soil, i have accepted the change and i will see it all go over there eventually or the american companys will go outta business because they want to much for there american made gear and people want to be conscious on there pocket books, that is why there is a class system in the country, poor get poor or decent quality gear, middle class get the better or best and rich get nothing but the best, i can live with it and be content with it. there is my 2 cents on it. :D
  12. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    You don't have to buy expensive to get good quality. Learn to shop. Remember that buying the mystic brands to be an enthusiast about your sport. There are lots of adequate rods between $100 - $200. The same goes for almost all the equipment. You don't have look like you just came out of an ORVIS catalog. Buy smart and you can fish well inexpensively. But if you insist on buying Top of the line expensive stuff, then realize fly fishing can be a very expensive sport. But expensive doesn't make it more enjoyable.
  13. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +763 / 2
    A lot of you guys conflate "need" and "want" into one bucket. They are separate.

We have arguments on WFF where one guy is arguing about what is needed to catch fish, while the other is talking about what they want to buy and use. The same could be said about cars, bicycles, guns, guitars and many other items where utility evolves into luxury as prices rise.

I personally don't fault anyone for wanting a little bling, whether fishing gear or anything else. Boys like toys, after all, and sometimes having an expensive toy is more fun.
  14. weiliwen Active Member

Chicago Illinois
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    "But expensive doesn't make it more enjoyable."

That is a personal statement and does not apply to all people. See Lugan's post above - spot on.
  15. Akuriko Member

Ratings: +11 / 0
    i agreed, a person doesnt need a $7,000 1911 pistol for a example a remington or ruger will do the same job and cost less, some people just want the most amount of money item for bragging rights and for example they couldnt use it proper its just for bragging rights.
  16. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +763 / 2
    Bragging rights aren't the only reason to buy high-end stuff.
    golfman44 likes this.
  17. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +180 / 1
    [quote="Keith Hixson, post: 935353, member: 4597. You don't have look like you just came out of an ORVIS catalog..[/quote]

Keith,

I would argue that Many of the things you find in an "Orvis catalogue" are cheaper and better made than some of the other brands. i.e. Clearwater spey rods, Pro-Guide Zip up waders......
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  18. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    even within the same brand, buying their top of the line isnt necessarily the best.
    I prefer the SAGE motive over the XI3, because I dont want to have to overline the rod and like the more moderate action of the motive better. I can afford the $700 rod, but I bought the $400 rod.
    I cast the TFO mangrove, the Beulah bluewater, and the reddingtons, and the SAGE was the best rod. It cast the best, felt the best-the Beulah blue water was REEEEEAAAALLLLLLLY nice though- only $30 less, but its a 10/11 and Id line it with an 11wt, but wanted a true 10wt.

I say cast EVERYTHING, and pick whats going to make your "zen moment" most enjoyable. With good gear, youve only got yourself to blame when shit goes wrong. I see so many people blame shitty gear for their personal shortcomings.
    golfman44 likes this.
  19. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +998 / 0
    I bought a sage method solely because it matches my red Ferrari.
    David Dalan and Lugan like this.
  20. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    I think the whole "dont knock it till you try it" addage really applies here.

If you dont know what youre missing.... maybe ignorance is bliss. But if you fish your gear HARD and dont want to worry about it letting you down, I think the purchasing of higher end gear is better... as long as it truly is better gear.
    I use conventional gar a lot for tuna/white sea bass/dorado/yellowtail here. I fish Daiwa saltist lever drag reels(single and 2 speed) . They arent cheap, but they are not nearly as expensive as the top of the line Shimano or avet reels that everyone loves down here, and guess what? The reel shops are ALWAYS fixing shimano and avet reels, and NEVER have to repair the saltist.
    So yes I agree, sometimes the fancy ass gear isnt worth the money, find out what gear IS worth it, and buy that.

A 120lb bluefin tuna will help you find out what gear is or isnt worth the $$$ really fast BTW
    Andrew Shoemaker likes this.