Who else here ties Crystal flash on ...

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Kaiserman, Jan 25, 2014.

1. chewydog

chewydog Active Member

I believe the OP was referring to a tail.I've used KF in various attributes of a midge, including bodies, short emerger wings, flashy head stuff. Tails...midges don't have tails. Shucks maybe on the surface where they crawl out of them...but tails? OK, fish have a pea brain and there are a series of these:
    [​IMG]

GAT likes this.
  2. GAT

GAT Active Member

I've seen the midge emerger patterns with a bit of flash for a "tail" but I honestly don't see the point. .. so if they work, I'm going along with chewydog and blame the pea brain of a fish for any success the pattern might have.

What the heck, if it works, who cares why?.... that's my stance.

3. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Yeah, I guess I should have clarified it a bit better. Some of the natural chironomids have just a tiny bit of white on the end, and I've seen a lot of patterns with Antron, Ostr. herl, whatever...

Just was curious about different techniques. Cool bug though.

And I'm with you guys on the "whatever works" theory. I have a "go to" woolly bugger, that looks like absolutely nothing, but has killer action when swung or stripped.

4. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

By the way chewydog, since you're the last to post a pic, what's that thorax behind your bead?

Is that the imitation peacock herl?

5. chewydog

chewydog Active Member

Not my tie. From Hans site. The tier is Bruce Smith. The recipe says it's peacock ice dub.

Kaiserman likes this.
  6. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I like some on my smaller, emerger style midges. Anything bigger than size sixteen I don't bother.

7. johnk

johnk Active Member

Sorry to intrude but I think he means a furled tail.

Kaiserman likes this.
  8. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Maybe if you/we ask nicely , John will post some pics of his chironomids .
    He`s a master at them .

Kaiserman likes this.
  9. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Hey John - Pretty please...?

10. johnk

johnk Active Member

No problem guys. How about "The Hog Magnet" as a teaser.....
    [​IMG]

11. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Oh man, that gives me a tingly feeling up my leg! Sorry, I stole that from Chris Mathews.

Show us more!

By the way, that's very creative. I've tied about 57 flies... I think 3 of them are the same. Don't you just love tying flies?!

12. johnk

johnk Active Member

Sure thing. I'll start a new thread with some of my more popular patterns.