Who fishes airflo deltas?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Leroy Laviolet, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    I fished these alot in the past till the longbellie bug bit...
    They are killer lines, For some reason it seems you here more about them for casting than fishing here . Maybe I am wrong , but I think there superb for many fishing aps and aren't given there just due - They handle lead eyes better than I expected , if you watch you timeing ...
    What say you ?

2. Mark Speer

Mark Speer It's all good.....

Media:
    I have been throwing a Delta multi tip and just got a Delta Long mt. Delta seemed to fit me the best vs. Skagit or Scandi but that was until I threw the Delta Long....heading for long bellies now. Got my eyes on a 15' T&T at Poppy's but gotta recoup after sending my taxes in today.:beathead:

3. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    Just tried a shiny new 7/8 tips.. Breeziest casting line to date on my old Scott 1287 ARC. CND 7/8 GPS on the other spool. My summer rod :)

4. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    I say, Deltas are beautiful. A quintessential line.

5. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    I fish Deltas about 75% of the time. When it's time to pull out the really heavy tips and big junk, I go to a compact Skagit. Until then, I much prefer the Deltas.

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've been wanting to try out the whole delta thing as I have an extra spool with no line on it yet. I have a compact skagit currently. What applications would be best suited for a delta vs the skagit?

7. Mark Speer

Media:
    Evan,

For me I need a lot of room for the Delta long...takes big D loops ( at least for this novice caster) not as much room for the Delta. I use them both on the Clearwater and Snake where there is usually lots of space! Big rivers = long bellies that's the road I'm headed down....leaving the "heads" at home.

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    ah. i'm debating how badly i need something that long. i added a spey to the collection simply because a few areas i like to fish have no back cast area. i have no real interest in getting into the whole trying to throw the worlds most awesome cast thing. strictly as a fishing tool, i'm trying to figure out what other line i could add to my other spool to give me some options.

9. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    There's a pretty significant difference between the Deltas and Delta Longs. I've fished Deltas on the Methow, Wenatchee, Clearwater, Hoh, Sky, etc. If I'm fishing a type 7 or lighter w/ flies to 3 inches or so, I fish a Delta. When I get out the custom cut and big string leeches or Intruders, I go to a Compact Skagit. Pretty much and summer run fishing can be done w/ the Delta and a lot of winter run fishing as well.

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I have a delta standard that I turned into a multi tip. I can hardly say that I cast it but whatever I'm doing with it seems to work. For winter fishing I was using a custom line from Steve Godshall of Speywerks and Airflo Compact Skagit heads, both of which did well for tips and the flies I was trying to chuck. I'll say that the delta, when I cast it while on the river at Mike Kinney's clinic, was my favorite of three different lines I tried. Since then I've cast it more and more and really like how it handles and flies. I hope to fish it this summer.

11. bconrad

bconrad Member

Hey Evan,
    I fish Deltas for all my dry line stuff...nymphing, skating, wet flies...in my opinion they're a really sweet line. I have the standard versions, not the long. You don't need a ton of room for the D loop. What spey rod do you have? If you're looking at either the 6/7 or the 7/8 you're welcome to borrow one of mine to try out.

12. Tom Arroll

Tom Arroll Member

Media:
    I have an airflow delta multi tip but as a newbie I find it hard to cast. I have been focusing on improving my casting technique with my Skagit line and will then go back to trying to cast the Delta line as it will be a better choice for summer steelhead. I did try a Skandi line at Spey Days that worked well for me so I am a bit usure what my best option is in situations that my Skgit line is not the best choice.

Thomas

13. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    Ed Ward would argue that the Skagit is good for most any application. Who am I to argue? Two thoughts you might consider. One would be to strip the head of your Delta inside the rod tip until you have a head that you can manage. As you get better, you can lengthen it. The other would be to buy the scandi line for summer/small fly work. When I started to get serious about fishing the two-handed rod, I started with the Delta intentionally, rather than the Skagit. There are differing philosophies on this subject, but my line of reasoning was that the Skagit set-up could hide my casting flaws much easier than the Delta. It may have taken a little longer to become competent enough to cast consistently, but I'm pretty comfortable w/ any of the short belly lines now, including the compact Skagit. Also, Skagit aren't designed for touch and go casts like the snake roll and single spey, two casts which are nice to have in the arsenal.

14. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    Don't give up Dude -
    Stay with it, it'll come, really it will .
    Slow down, watch the d-loop form, and let the rod cast itself 'till you get rolling. We all have days where we suck, but they will become less and less frequent, then it will just be bad stretches here and there-.
    One of my biggest helpful hints is watch the d-loop form, if it isn't correct, try things till it is right, and slow down, slow down, slow down ....:thumb:

15. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

The Delta is the nicest short belly line out there imo .
    The Delta Longs are nice too , but I have other lines that I prefer when I want to go long .

16. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

I like the green and the white line better than Skagits although my all time favorite is a winter authority line. Hell I like Miami Vice once.

17. Mark Speer

Media:
    Thomas,

Does your line have the marker on it to show you where the head begins? It is very helpful if it is there, if not use a black sharpie and make a mark that you can see so you know where the head is when making your cast. Very useful tip from Big Tuna, it helped me out when I first started throwing them.

Mark

18. thewaker

thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

Media:
    Deltas and Delta Longs are sweet lines. Love the longs when I have the room.

Mark

19. DoubleL

DoubleL A guy who loves to fish

I learned on the Delta line when I started. Very versatile, casts nicely and it's still a favorite line even though 80% of my fishing these days is with various rods lined with various types of shooting heads.

20. 808steelheader

808steelheader Member

I love Delta's. They are probably my favorite line for summer dryline fishing with wakers. They are not too short and not too long, just right for a lot of conditions, easy to cast, decent in the wind.

Todd