Who is actually fishing or fished a dryline for winter steel in the PNW?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by golfman65, Nov 10, 2011.

1. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    Thanks Phil...I've gone wadds. cotter pins and tubes...Those big boys stay on my bench when I get the urge to tie and ruin another classic pattern..
  2. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    I would be willing to take a few of those heavy irons.
  3. idahokid David Willey

Hayden Lake,Idaho
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I use a floating line with a poly leader.Then a few feet of tippet.
  4. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +119 / 0
    My Bad, missed your post. :>(

Others are good, but Joni will build you what you want/think you need, as in 'one offs' for 2-hander rods. (As may well be others, just never asked.) Sounds silly, but with low water, off a dry line, her 'sinkers' are the Cat's Meow with a weighted fly. Puppies Hunt. Used same on the Bitterroot (3wt spey), Rogue, Deschutes, N. Umpqua and Chetco. Low flows .... Ohoooo Ya.

Confidence = results?

fae
  5. 808steelheader Member

Springfield, OR
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    View attachment 47459 View attachment 47458 View attachment 47457

The dryline deep wet fly swing works! I've been fishing an old 8.5' 8wt glass rod with an 8 wt Ambush line to get into the fish pictured above. Since the Ambush has a short head I use a strategy of feeding slack into the drift to make up for the inability to back mend with this line. The flies used above were a bead headed MOAL, 3/0 Winter's Hope, and 5/0 Winter's Hope. No lethal hookings with the big irons.
  6. Idaho steel Active Member

Clearwater
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    Dang Todd! Those are some beautiful fish!

Those are some pretty good sized flies too. The biggest hook I've been tying on is a 1.5 The fact that these are still summer fish over here may have something to do with their aggressive behavior. Water temps on the Grande Ronde peaked at 36 the other day, yet fish were still willing to come up for a fly. Gotta believe!
  7. 808steelheader Member

Springfield, OR
    Wow, you are getting those late summers in some pretty cold water. I assume you are fishing barely subsurface. Is the water level pretty low out there this time of year?
  8. Idaho steel Active Member

Clearwater
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    Water levels have actually been fluctuating a fair amount lately. The beautiful thing about our rivers is the structure. Regardless of water levels there are always accessible fish, even on floating lines.

I am fishing pretty shallow. I've hooked two fish in the last few days that took the fly in knee deep water... Typically, I like to fish the soft water and the edges where the water or the structure is five feet deep or less. I don't really change my tactics much from summer time. I fish a little bigger flies, 1's and 2's as opposed to 5's and 7's, and I look for softer, slower water. That's about it.
  9. golfman65 Guest

beauty rod and fly's 808...your not john or michael are you?
  10. 808steelheader Member

Springfield, OR
    golfman,
    No my name is Todd Hirano. I got another dryline steelhead today, a little 5 to 6 lber on a MOAL and hooked/lost another on a 5/0 Winter's Hope.

The dryline swing gets it done.
  11. obryan214 New Member

Tacoma Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    unsucssefuly. temporarly forget how to spell that. done fair with spoons and spinners.
  12. golfman65 Guest

Nice to hear Todd and thanks for the reply...
    I look forward to joining your ranks...
    Does river color effect your choice or is it dryline all the way?
  13. 808steelheader Member

Springfield, OR
    I fish dryline all winter, all the time. I focus on softer water most of the time. Heavy, deep stuff is usually not for the dryline swing. Hint: the water you are looking for is often closer to shore rather than on the other side of the river. You want to cast a line you can control - I'm fishing single handers, typically casting within 60'. I'm typically fishing the inside seam/cushion running along the heavier main flow. Think walking pace or slower water with some bounce to it.
  14. Derek Day Rockyday

Olympia
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    I think Todd would make Bill McMillan feel dirty.
  15. soundflycaster Member

Mossyrock, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Great posts! Just from the casting perspective I love to use floaters. Either short belly lines or Scandi heads. When the situation calls for in I will use the lightest poly leaders that I can get away with. Late winter with low clear flows are great times for floating line presentations. I do confess that I have skagit head with heavy tips but when fishing with T-14 to T-17 I begin to wonder if I need to dust off the baitcaster and put on 3" of pencil lead. Casting would be more comfortable for sure.
  16. Achilles Member

Washington
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    That's all I ever use and it's very effective with a 10-12'' leader and weighted fly... I guess I'm always surprised that more people don't fish floating lines...
  17. 808steelheader Member

Springfield, OR
    Happiness is..... more winter steelhead on the dryline. Got this one the other day on a 5/0 Winter's Hope on a small coast river in Oregon.

View attachment 48045

If you look closely, you'll see some leeches on the gill plate, never seen leeches on a steelhead before.

tight lines,
    Todd
  18. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Greaselining....gotta love it.

Beautiful fish pics 808...