Who is Going to the 1st Seattle Area Fly Fishing Fair & Casting Expo?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bert Kinghorn, May 27, 2009.

1. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

Media:
    I plan to be there. I'm looking forward to it.

2. Blake

Blake Member

Even some of us from the South Sound will be there! I'll be there with the Gig Harbor Fly Shop booth so I'll be stuck in one place but swing by and say hi!

If your spouse hates taking your casting advice you should definitely bring him/her! This will be a great event!

3. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Hoping to get the Spouse there and intro'd to FFing. I will make every effort to be there anyway.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Gene, great idea. I built a rod for the misses and got her all hooked up, waders, boots, etc. I've not pressured her at all, nor have I tried to teach her anything. I would love it if she would go to this thing and wander around. Maybe it will get her inspired. I think she'll be between classes too! Could be perfect timing.

5. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    I picked up my flier at the PFF shop in Mill Ck and am looking forward to this.

My 2 daughters boyfriends are both curious about flyfishing and I think I can get them to join along.

6. Jeremiah Baldwin

Jeremiah Baldwin New Member

I'll try to make it to represent Whidbey Is. (although I'm still a New-be, not sure if the local fly guys want me representing them:D)
    I'll put the word out out the WI Fly Club meeting on 10Jun and try to bring a couple of fellow new-be's.

7. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I thought the Whidbey Island Fly Fishing Club wanted a booth. Maybe you can give them a poke.

Leland.

8. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    I fished w/ Steve (Islander) yesterday on Lone and mentioned the event and spreading the word through the club. He or someone else in the club may get ahold of you.

Bill

9. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    The folks from AATF mentioned this to my wife and I during the Ellelnsburg Expo. We'll be there. Gotta get another hat.

REE

10. Porter

Porter Active Member

I might poke around if I don't have to work....or perhaps with so many of you going to this event, the rivers might be less populated :clown:

11. therealist

therealist PNW

Home Page:
    Leland nice work on pushing this, I am somewhat amazed at the little I have heard put out elsewhere about this event.

Not knowing what is or isn't happening for next year as far as Bellevue goes, this could very well be our replacement show for that. This is a locally focused group of professional caliber tyers, guides, shop managers/employees/owners and casting instructors all in one place with one thing in common, the need to promote the local knowledge base as well as help as many new fly anglers get a foothold on the sport. There is no catch here, we are all going to be there to help those of you who want easy access to answers/information without the pressure of being in a shop needing to buy something.

The longevity of this show will depend on people getting the word out and attending and like any event like this, it can get better every year. But people have to come and let the organizer know what they want from it. Kristin at All About the Fly has been working her tail off so come show your support.

Plus it is free!

12. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Dave,

It's been tough as we have no money set aside for advertising. All we have is our wits and "guerrilla marketing." The irony is that through this site and shops, we are "preaching to the choir. Hopefully, we'll get good word of mouth "outside" to the other 99 and 99/100% of the world.

The raffle is our major promotional piece and I'm talking about the BIG raffle to experienced fly fishers. You get tickets for bringing in new people to the sport. The more you bring, the more tickets you get. To date, we have rods from TFO, Winston, Ross and Orvis; Reels from Vosseler, Waterworks and Temple Fork; Private Casting Lessons; Two guided beach trips; and a whole lot of lines and flies.

Leland.

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I realize there isn't alot of cash for advertising (as in none as it sounds). Has anyone approached the local media about it? I know these local news stations usually will eat up stuff like this.

14. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I realize this event has been taken over by several shops but let’s not forget what this event is about in our attempts to advertise. In the spirit of Jimmy and as Marlow did with the Rockport event and the current raffle intentions this started out as a way for newcomers to rub shoulders with experienced fly casters to get needed guidance and encouragement to continue with the sport. Please don't lose focus of what this event is really about; the celebration of Jimmy Green's life, his contributions to fly fishing and the newcomer.

You are doing a great job Leland (and you other guys/gals involved), keep up the good work.

15. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Today we had our next to last meeting. The show is coming together fabulously. Marlow was there and we voted him official "schmoozer."

I've attached a shot of some guys getting in some two-handed practice including a young kid who made me crawl out of the water in embarrassment.

Leland.

16. Arthur Vakulchik

Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

Media:
    hmmmm.... i believe thats me in the second picture if im not mistaken. :rolleyes:

17. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Well a name to a face for change. See you on the 20th Arthur!

Leland.

18. mike kinney

mike kinney Member

I agree with Leland things are coming are coming together nicely.All the owners of the close by shops and their. staffs have worked very hard to make this event a reality.Since we are not charging any thing for this event our advertising budget is very small and we are counting on all of you guys to help get the word out.Kerry your concerns are duly noted the spirit of Jimmy Green is alive and well in the event. Marlow asked me several years ago if I wanted to take over the event and at the time I really was not sure.This last year it became apparent that Marlow could not do this by himself any more and I voluntiered my help to keep it going .As the Skagit catch and release season has become more fragile we were not sure if the river would be open, which was the draw to bring people that far north also we were hoping this event would grow into a bigger permanant event.So I pitched this idea to some of my friends in the other local shops since then we picked Tye lake as a more central location and have tried to involve all of the shops in western Washington.Marlow has been involved in evry part of planning this event and I think he would agree that with out the help of all involved it would be too much to handle.Hopefully having the event on the water where I think fly fishing is usually done will some day take over the high priced city fly show market and start a new standard for fly fishng shows.MK

19. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    A few pictures from yesterdays casting and course setup test run!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:beer2:

20. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Mike. I appreciate you and the others taking this on. See you in June and I am looking forward to the event. Perhaps I won't look such the fool casting off water instead of grass. Never quite figured out 2 handed casting off grass.