Who is on the take?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Hooker, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

Bruce, way to go man. The rest, are just chickens in a hen house! Bitches...

2. Pieter Salverda

Pieter Salverda Member

Home Page:
    Give me a f'ing break. Dude, relax a little.

3. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    I'm on the take !! If it's free !!!:beer1::beer1:

4. Sourdoughs

Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

Media:
    I'm not on the take, but will entertain offers from the following:

Sage rods
    Rio leaders & tippet
    Cabelas vests and supplex shirts & pants
    Simms waders and boots

Any free gear from the above willing accepted and shamelessly pimped. Until then, I'm a free agent.

5. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

As can we all......it's just a matter of price :D ! Reminds me of a story - now if I can just remember.....:hmmm:

Jcnewbie

6. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

Well i guess i agree with some of it. True there are very few unbiased opinons and most of them will be clouded by previous purchases but that doesnt address the point of who is getting compensated.
    Not to single anyone out, but there are plenty of people who go out of their way to promote certain brands in just about every post they have. Just seems a little rediculous to me.
    Funny that most of the people that did respond arent the ones I think are getting discounts on their gear.

7. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    I'm probably one of those guys you are thinking of. Clearly i'm being paid big $$$ for pimping medalist reels and pflueger rods! Busted!!

-Chadk (Medists for Metalheads Club)

8. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

actually Chad, no. You are one of the few that seem to have a passion for their choice of gear, but not to the point of pushing gear.

9. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I have been wondering who is paying the Mariners to lose?

10. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Okay, John, what is your suggestion when someone asks about a product or is looking for a certain item? Seems to me, you can take it or leave it if you don't like the poster or feel that they are "on the take". Personally, there are a lot of people that have much more experience than I do with a specific brand, and their input can be valuable.

How 'bout you just ignore any post relating to product name, quality - good or bad, and let the rest of us form our own opinion?

BTW - Busch makes beer!?

MB

11. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

I'm not saying that at all... When someone asks for suggestions they should recieve them, and many people will post what they feel is best from their experience.
    I am not talking about those instances. I am talkin about people who go out of their way to post about the products that they are compensated by. I dont think there is any doubt that there are people on here that are compensated in some way by; sage, winston, tfo and a laundry other products.
    I mean look at just about any post from the most respected writer on here and it leaves little doubt to the fact that he must be compensated by tfo.

12. Andrew Kirkland

Andrew Kirkland cuttlover

Me too!

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Useless thread and I just spent 10 minutes reading and another 10 replying. I type slow.

Buy Sage.

Buy Simms

Buy Rio

Buy Hardy.

How much did I make?

14. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    Ok, i'll come clean. I usually get a handful of free stuff from most of the major manufacturers and reps. The shop I work for also gets lots of demo stuff that I always try out. I don't recieve a salary from any of them and they don't expect anything out of me but my opinion and feedback.

Am I biased......hell yeah I am. I get to use most of what is hot and new out there and I trash it. If it works i'll pimp it. If it's crap, i'll let you know. I fish or am on the water close to 200 + days a year and all over the salt and fresh, trout and steel. I have a room full of broken, beaten, and worn out gear. The last few years I have been logging the days on all my stuff to accurately see what is good and what falls apart and how long it takes.

So I believe my bias is based on actual use of gear and my opinion after I destroy it. I won't rip on anything I have no personel experience with or promote anything that I don't fully believe is the best thing in its class or catagory.

Yes I love lamson reels, echo rods, airflo lines, baileys waders and I got a love-hate relationship with simms.

This is gear that I have a lot of faith in. It has outperformed the others in most cases (there is always an exception)

So I don't see a problem with anything that I have posted with reguards to "pimping" nor do I find any ones elses "pimping" of products out of line or annoying.

15. GATOR9

GATOR9 Hey you guys

I would love to be paid or compensated to promote a brand name. As it is now we all do so for free every day in what we wear from shoes to socks, shorts, shirts, glasses, hats whatever it may be. Most all items have their name or logo on it so wer all are just a walking promotion but to be paid then more power to you that do. Just the other day I posted on "opening day" about my new waders and new boots giving the brand name just in case others were looking to purchase new ones but I can honestly say I did buy them only because they were still in my price range. Now if anyone wants to give me a pair of $600.00 to $900.00 waders to try out then I'm sure I can give you and honest answer in comparison to others. Oh, and don't stop at the waders there are rods, reels, lines, shirts, hats, the list goes on. Just pm me and put it in the mail. I will be all too happy to give it a test run and you can compensate me in $$$ or more of the same, I'm sure we can work something out.

16. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    Some seem to be more conspicuous... but yes, you are referring to the most blatant example that I have seen on the board. :beer2:

The way I see it, for someone who's a big name, there's too much to risk in pimping a crappy product. The world is too small. Definitely do your own research, from my experience in a somewhat related industry, the people who are deeply rooted will rout around the crappy products unless they are complete sell outs.

17. Porter

Porter Active Member

iagree and I enjoy reading the responses regarding gear from many on this board. :thumb:

18. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Hooker, if I may say so, I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Rick Matney and Kent Lufkin said it well enough that I probably don't need to add anything, but I'll give my account.

I used to be a professional mountain climbing guide. Virtually every equipment manufacturer wanted their equipment in my hands. I got to use a lot of great (and not so great) equipment every year and use it hard. I used the equipment that worked best for my needs. I wasn't hesitant to tell people what I thought about the equipment I had tried. However, I could care less what any manufacturer thought and they never tried to coerce me into saying anything about their products or to threaten to cut off access to their pro deals if I used/promoted someone else's products.

I knew a lot of climbers who did not have experience with a fraction of the equipment and brands that I had access to. That didn't stop them for expressing their opinion, either, and it shouldn't.

Now, under those circumstances, which person would you listen to for advice on equipment, the guide or Joe Blow?

I have never been a fishing guide and it has been many years since I was a climbing guide, so some things may be different between the two. But, I'll bet the similarities with respect to this far outweigh the differences.

Dick

19. PT

PT Physhicist

Who cares? If people are "compensated" that's great from them. You'll still get the replies from some dude who has only cast a Sage rod saying "buy a Sage, it's the best rod out there... HANDS DOWN!"

I don't see the same thing you see on this site. If you don't want people expressing their opinion about which rod is best then let's ban anybody who asks which 5 wt they should buy.

+1

20. knothead

knothead Banned or Parked

Media:
    "I mean look at just about any post from the most respected writer on here and it leaves little doubt to the fact that he must be compensated by tfo."

Now i am really confused?! Who the hell is the most respected writer on here?