Who is on the take?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Hooker, Jun 9, 2008.

1. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Why would you hear about an endorsement anyone has turned down? It's not in the best interest of either party to discuss deals that don't materialize, so of course you wouldn't hear about them.

2. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Stan,
    Many of us post on threads about a fly rod to try out or purchase. Currently, rods I know most about are Lamiglas and TFO. Over the years I've used J.Kennedy Fisher, Sage, Scott, Orvis and St. Croix rods . On another WFF post today I recommended the Orvis Streamline outfit, for someone who wanted a complete setup on a limited budget. Conversely I've sold a lot of Orvis Helios rods since they were introduced.
    I always support companies with whom I've accepted an advisory staff position. That is why they ask me to come on board. Lending my name to any product is not something that I've ever taken lightly. I do respect your opinion and your right to express it.
    Cheers,
    Les

3. herl

herl Member

This issue really doesn't bother me much one way or the other but I'll weigh in anyway..

On other boards that I frequent, members who are sales reps or pro staff for tackle companies are encouraged to display that information in their signature line. This leaves it up to the reader to place more or less weight on their recommendation - based on their affiliation with the company.

Seems to be a fairly easy and honest thing to do..

4. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    Seems like much ado about nothing. Les, keep on posting. Everyone knows you're a stand-up guy and not slinging bull. Besides, there's 40,000,000 other posts touting TFO rods as a great rod for the money. Anytime someone asks a question, they get multiple opinions, so you have to sort through them, test some rods, and ultimately make your own decision.

5. snarlac

snarlac Member

"for the money" being the key operative phrase; just don't whine about the $25 handling fee, and $10 in your postage and insurance, to send it to texas and wait a couple weeks for it to come back, every year or so.

I'm not kidding.....I just sent one of mine off for yet another quality failure (2nd in 3 yrs), the type of which I don't experience with sage in the first place.

Best rod for the money. Totally agree. And the warranty is great too, but would be even greater if I didn't have to use it, at least this often. I'll feel better when I get the replacement; good thing I have a backup (sage).

6. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    This just got saucey!!! :D I don't think I am even close to in this but damn...I got to get a punch in or two.

Left jab.....TFO is CRAP.

Right hook......Orvis is why I hate flyfishing.

TKO.... I think that I am only going to gear fish with live bait and kill everything I catch.....After all isn't this just one big fabricated ecosystem anyways? IF the government agencies don't F@$# it up some one else will.

OUT. :beer2:

7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Yeah Rick, Shakespeare Uglystick all the way! (Can you get a pro deal on those too?)

FWIW, since this thread began I still haven't received any gear offers from manufacturers, high end or low, or medium, or any. Dang!

8. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    What's up Salmo G! Haven't heard much from you since the OP Bash. And yes they do pro deals. Them, along with berkley gulp are two of my main sponsors for the pro bass tour.J/K, but not really. Just re-lined my 9 Foot lamiglass heavy action and Calcutta with 17 lb P-Line! Also just got some Gammi 6/0 circle hooks. Now all I need is to catch some 12" suckers and it is on! Thinking a slip float (huge float) and 2 OZ egg sinkers with a swivel and a sucker? That should get them I think. :thumb:

9. Jim Hewitt

Jim Hewitt Member

I just inked a deal with Depends Undergarments. They are rolling out a new line of undergarments aimed specifically for pontoon/tube fishermen. No longer will you need to interupt a good day of fishing to kick to shore when nature calls.....just take care of business right out there in the middle of the lake and keep on fishing. Depends will be hosting a demo next Saturday up at Rattlesnake Lake. It's co-sponsored by Starbucks. I'll be fishing for 12 uninterrupted hours pausing only to drink some Starbucks coffee and eat bran muffins. Come one come all for some free coffee, bran muffins and lots of Depends shwag.

10. Bob Balder

Bob Balder Willing to learn anything...

Throwing stones at Leland?
    The guy is the quintasential pro. Give me a break!

11. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Dogging Leland and Les for pimping products is about as stupid as a person can get. Next time you guys take a leak, slam that toilet seat down on your junk. It will be a change of pace from just stepping on it all the time.

I would encourage everyone to work on his or her online BS filter. There are plenty of other folks who whore products without any experience to back it up and they usually are shit products. This reminds me of when I was day trading back before the .com bubble burst. I loved hitting the trading forums. There were always the same guys that would talk-up a particular stock. When they did, I'd buy and then sell short making money as it continued to tank. Face it, good products don't need a promo. Good people like Les and Leland don't to need to explain their position. We are very fortunate to have them here on the site.

BTW, I just inked a deal with Leland and Les. We're going to write a book on the hypocrisy, idiocy, frustration and anything else that the anonymity of the web brings out on fly fishing forums.

Who is on the take? Get a grip.

12. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    Amen, with all the fanboys out there it would be hard for an actual rod rep to get a word in.

13. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

I a not surprised that this thread has lasted this long. Most if given a rod, reel, pack or whatever? would figure out how to use them effectively. Many, Many good products out these days. Keep it simple dumbass! That goes for me as well. Who Is On The Take?
    ALL OF US!....

Good luck.

14. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    I don't have time to read all this ....... Matt, please list everyone on here who talked trash about Leland and Les in alphabetical order. That way I'll know who to kick right in the nuts if I see them. Good swift nutcrushers, the kind that send their tiny baby nuts up into the windpipe. We'll get to know each other real well because I'll be along in the ambulance getting my foot cut out of their ass by the EMTs.

Get a grip. It's a business. Shut the F up and go fishing already.

15. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    This is SOOO funny. You are trying to knock TFO, but at the same time admiting you own one and fish it as your primary rod. If it was so bad, it would be sold on ebay in a second. But no, you keep it as your primary rod and your SAGE is your backup! :rofl: :rofl:

16. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Mingo, tell us how to you REALLY feel?

17. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    I have.:thumb:

There aren't enough hours in a day to support or endorse the facilities, products, etc. that would love to have his name on their products. :beathead:

18. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

If you are a sponsor, by all means, promote your store, or product.
    It seems to me that there are plenty of people on here that just use the forum as free advertising.

19. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:

Can I have first kick at their crack? I'll pay you to take cuts in the substantial line . . . oops, that's pimping. :thumb:

20. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

My flies are the best.

Better than anybody's.

The fish bite them constantly.

You can't keep them off.

50$ a piece.

PM Me.

There now you all know.

I sell the worlds best flies for 50 dollars a piece.

Sorry I haven't been entirely honest with you guys.