Who is on the take?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Hooker, Jun 9, 2008.

1. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

WOW!

Did you know this site is called WashingtonFLYFISHING.com

Maybe you shouldn't post on a fly fishing website if you feel that way.

2. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    Uuuhhh I don't think we are on the same page here. I Was taking a stereotypical jab at the eliteness that this sport brings out in people. Kind of like self touting wine tasters or those who care more about the label on the clothes then the person inside them.

No matter how you view this sport it still comes down to just fishing. Take everything away and you have something that is genetically sealed in our evolution as humans and an instinctual need to catch and survive. That you just can't change.

3. WT

WT Member

Five pages and all I have gotten out of it is that Zen is now, officially, the Paris Hilton of Fly Fishing. Strong werk Zen.
    WT

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Zen is famous for being famous? Naw. BTW, when did Paris Hilton catch a steelhead, even by nymphing? Would PH look as stupid in waders as she does on magazine covers? Does anybody care?

5. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    No Idea about steelheading but I hear she is second to no one when it comes to crabbing. :rofl:

6. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Man, that is some good stuff. Well said.

7. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I totally feel you there and agree 100%. It was just the way you said it.

All fly fishermen should be bait fishermen for a day IMO.

I am an all kinds of fishing fisherman, I just prefer fly fishing for steelhead myself. Plus I know of many situations where fly fishing will outfish everything else.

8. lotuseagle

lotuseagle New Member

A great issue was just raised. I have no problem with those who are brand affiliated (a few have been super helpful, other not so much) but I would really appreciate a line or a sig in postings noting so. I'm a trout fishing nut but I am a graduate student on a budget and want to know where my info is coming from. There's enough hype out there that I come to these boards to try and get good advice from people a variety of people that spend alot of time on the water. Not looking for a sales pitch. How about a bit more transparency? I promise if I get a hook up I will post. Any offers? ;)

9. PT

PT Physhicist

I could tell you to buy a Ford but wouldn't you go out and test drive a Chevy, Dodge, Toyota so you can make the decision for yourself and what your needs are. Same with fly gear and everything else. Do we all need sig lines or should we have our lawyers draw up a nice disclaimer to place at the bottom of each post? Do your homework, read between the lines, and buy the gear that best suits your needs. Buying anything based on what some stranger says on one of these boards is just foolish. It's just information. Use it at your own discretion!

10. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    I agree with PT.
    If I could add a comment, a guy who pays his hard earned money for a piece of equipment will likely give you better feedback than what the catalog says about it...thus the value of these pages.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm going to have to go public about my deep affection for the makers of Jameson Irish Whiskey...the choice of The Spaz. I hope that doesn't spawn a contentious Irish vs. Scotch string. Lives could be lost.

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Lotuseagle,

If you're a student or anyone on a budget, you don't need to know who on here is product affiliated. You just need to know that you don't need, and the fish totally don't care about, high end fly rods, reels, and flylines. Maybe throw expensive flourocarbon leaders in there too.

Almost all fly rods made today are good quality or better. Almost, if not any, reel will do for basic trout fishing. The larger and faster your quarry, the more you'll need to spend on a reel. $30 fly lines catch a crapload of fish; spend more if you feel like it.

High quality waders and boots will help you catch way, way more fish than expensive rods, reels, and lines. Cheap Mustad hooks catch fish just fine. Because I bought so many 30 years ago, they're still catching fish today instead of designer hooks at 3 times the price.

That's what you need to know if you're on a budget.

Sg

12. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Who are you kidding? the bloody Irsh don't make real whiskey. :rofl:

13. SpeySpaz

Media:
    Hmmmm.
    I drink Speyburn single malt too, if that will avoid a fight.
    maybe we should get an NFR string going, I didn't mean to distract. Salmo G just made a really good point.

14. lotuseagle

lotuseagle New Member

Salmo- You are so right. I got an amazing deal on my boots and waders a few years back (orvis henry's fork boots and nice breathable waders.... under $85 bucks for in total for the both). I can catch a fish on a crappy loaner rod but comfy waders and wading boots are a luxury I can not pass on. Ladies- spend the extra $$ for gender specific wading boots. You'll be sooo much more comfortable.

15. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    I would repectfully disagree. It seems more often that not people want to tout whatever they bought as some modern miracle of fishing instead of admitting they might not have made the most perfect purchase. In an environment with a lot of testosterone, few of us will tell when we made a mistake.
    I'll go first. I spent my hard earned cash on a RedFly. It sucked. I made I mistake.

16. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    I can't believe this thread is still alive. :eek: It must be setting some kind of a record. Stats? Do we have stats? :confused:

--Dave E.

17. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Here Here...iagree with Sg. I have done lots of different kinds of fishing and other rec things. I have some great name brand stuff and some low end stuff and have a blast with it all. I should remember that when I get my newer gear. I did just demo three 3wts and bought the least expensive one...which happened to cast the easiest for me and even in the shop owners opinion cast better with nice tight loops and accurate delicate presentation. He really sold me the least expensive of the three and I'm pretty sure we were both convinced it was a great fit for my needs and skill level.

(Proud owner of Orvis, St. Croix, Lamiglas, Echo, Cabelas, Forecast, Batton, Okuma, Scientific Angler, Rio, Cortland and lots of stuff in between...sorry no G Loomis, Rogue or SAGE...I'm afraid to touch those rods and reels)

18. SpeySpaz

Media:
    I get where you're coming from, Sloan. You make a good point about egos and inability to admit a lousy choice, which might apply to those who buy as well as those who endorse-
    I own a few rods that are real dogs and I don't mind talking about them, have a collection of vests that don't work for me, etc, so I'm just seeing this through my own eyes here.

19. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Ten+ years ago I bought a RedFly 5 weight 9 foot rod as a loaner; it rocked. :p First time I ever cast an entire line (SA Stillwater) was the first time I used that rod. I was stunned at what a (then) $75 retail rod with a lifetime warranty could do.

RedFly rods are incredbile values. :thumb:

20. SpeySpaz

Media:
    similarly, I got a 39$ Pfleuger 5/6 from Kmart and did well with it for a few years, till I traded up. I wasn't shooting the backing knot though!
    when I got an Orvis mid flex Silver a few years later, I couldn't fish well with it and finally gave it to my cracked out son in law. I ended up building my own on IMX blanks and loving them.