Who makes the Cabelas rods and reels??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jacob Peterson, May 27, 2009.

1. Jacob Peterson

Jacob Peterson Member

I have been wondering which company makes the rods and reels for cabelas, I know Fin-nor makes some reels, but who makes the rods?

2. Patagonguy

Patagonguy Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've heard some guys time ago, who said that Sage and Loomis make some Cabelas fly rods.

3. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Something I have heard over the years is that they buy blanks from the big name rod companies after they are discontinued and wrap them with their own materials. Not sure if it's true but it sounds pretty reasonable to me. If you call and ask them they won't tell you, probably because they legally signed a document saying they wouldn't disclose the blank maker.

4. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    I'd be really suprised (and sad) to hear that Sage and Loomis rods are relabeled as Cabela's brand rods.

5. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Not sure about rods..but the reels are made in China...I would assume the rods are from the same factory...

6. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've asked re: their rods and got nowhere. Read somewhere that Okuma makes some of their reels. Confirmed? Like the legend of Bigfoot, we may never really know.

7. Jacob Peterson

Jacob Peterson Member

ya, O well, Im was wondering cause im thinking of buying or building a 8 weight and cabelas had some ok looking ones.

8. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    I'd check out Anglers workshop in Woodland Wa. They are the king of the heap on supplies, etc...

9. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

My dad was hot to get one of Cabelas upper end fly rods.Apon doing some research he learned that the rod he wanted had a bad history of breaking.I would find it hard to believe that any reputable rod company like Sage Or Loomis would be behind such shoddy merchandise.You don't hear any thing about these companies having breakage problems.My guess would be china or South Korea.In fairness my first fly rod was a Cabelas from one of their package deals and I liked the feel and action of the rod very much.Never had a problem with it in the year I fished it.Who knows.

10. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    There are better blanks for the price out there compared to the cabelas stuff. There are still a lot of good USA made blanks out there at competative prices. :beer2: Post the specs you're looking for and I'm sure you'll get a ton of info on them.

11. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    China rods

12. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    Loomis did Cabela's rods about ten or eleven years ago, but I'm sure that ship has sailed. Cabela's would be foolish if they were still sourcing them domestically. And if you haven't heard of good companies having breakage issues, you haven't been around long enough. Everybody has a bad egg at some point. I'm sure countless people here remember the first IMX rods :beathead:

13. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

As of about 12 years ago, Cabela's spey rod blanks had dimentions and specs. identical to those of St. Croix, at that time.

14. From the looks of the old Ross Rhythm, is now the Cabelas. I bet their premium rods are nicer blanks from the US and perhaps wrapped overseas to keep costs down.

15. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:

My first rod was the Genesis package. I got a five weight. I fished the shit out of that rod. I still actuially have it. It's a crappy blank i'm sure but I liked it.
    Cheers,
    Frank.

16. Krystoff

Krystoff Member

I've now got 2 cabelas rods. A 5 wt package and a 3 wt package. I've caught a ton of fish on the 5 and I am starting to break in the 3 and I can't wait for the streams to open to really get some use from the 3. Both are super cheap rods that I love the feel and action of.

17. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Years ago Cabela's did use Loomis blanks for their fly rods, though they weren't the same blanks wearing the Loomis label. With the influx of good blanks from China, I assume their house label rods must be sourced there. More significantly I think is who designs them. The Chinese factories build to specifications, so with good designs, there are now a heck of a lot of good inexpensive rods made offshore.

Sg

18. herl

herl Member

Constantly changing. If you haven't noticed they have been coming out with new models of everything, every year or so. There old stuff was pretty big US brands, like Loomis, Fin-nor. Now it is definately all China, etc. For the most part, I think it is a good value but don't expect it to be extensivly field tested, or to be around for very long. I will say they do stand behind their shit (even if that is exactly what it is at times) - take it back and you will get a refund or replacement.

19. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

I have read that the quality of some Cabelas products is slipping.They have a reel that I would have killed for but after reading the reviews I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot zebco. Has anyone heard the same?

20. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm pretty sure their USA rods are St Croix blanks, I got this from an inside source. Their import blanks could be from anywhere. I'm sure they get their reels from the same import farm that also is the supplier for other reel manuf ie; orvis,ross,okuma,etc. Only dif is the drag materials...