Who to go to get a custom rod built?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Jeff Cheng, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Media:
    Hi all,
    not sure if this is the right place but i'm wondering if getting a custom rod built will be cheaper than buying one from the manufacturer?

specifically i'm looking at a zaxis, or ONE.

Thanks!

2. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    Since the z-axis has been discountinued, I doubt that you could find a (good) custom built rod for less $ than factory rod. I would look more at what you want out of a rod to see if a custom would make sence. Factory rods are built to the companies specs and consitency, you know what your going get. Most new rods come with no hassle, great warranties. Custom rods you can make it yours, color, name, componets etc. With a custom rod only the blank is covered under warranty, you will need to buy the broken piece and have a builder wrap it (can be more time, $ and hassle). Generally factory rods are eaiser to sell and will bring more $, some well known rod builders would bring a similar price as a factory rod.
    I would recommend Steve Moran in Spokane if you choose a custom option. Nice work and a fair price.
    http://www.stevemoranscustomrods.com/

Guy Gregory likes this.
  3. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
    A guy in Spokane has built a couple of rods for a friend of mine and they are nice. I suggest going over to the rod building forum (http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/) and look at threads in "Rod Showcase." The people who do this as a profession often put up photos of their latest builds so you can get an idea of what to expect from each of them. There are some incredible builds.

Another option if you are not tied to a brand is to contact Anderson, Meiser, or Burkheimer (you did not say one or two hand). I was going to build a new 4wt this spring but bought a Burkheimer instead, and after using it for the first time I called and ordered a 5wt. The build I had on the 4wt was cheaper than the rods you mention, and it is now my favorite rod over my Winstons and Sages.

4. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
    LD was typing the same I was! Steve Moran is the person I mentioned from Spokane. The rods he did for my buddy were very, very nice.

5. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Media:
    i guess i thought i could save a few bucks...but it looks like i'm completely wrong....

I'd love to make my own someday but that'll have to wait till i retire...that'll be a while....still in college haha

6. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    If it was me I'd buy the factory rod with the factory warranty. If you get a rod built on a Sage blank the warranty only covers a replacement of the blank section. You'd still need to get someone to outfit the replacement blank again.

7. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Are you looking for particular rod for a particular purpose?

8. totallycustom

totallycustom Member

I was in Stever Morans shop a few years ago and bought some components from him. The rods are really nice.

9. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Media:
    i'm looking for a fast action rod. something that i can punch through the wind with. Most of my rods are too slow.

I casted a sage One on wednesday and loved it....$750...dont love it nearly as much.

10. RAPA1163

RAPA1163 New Member

Sorry, but you`re not wrong totaly. I have some mixed feelings about some of the comments as to "Custom builds". As for one, you get exactly what you want. Most builders will work with you on a break, no, they are not going to replace the blank, the manufacturer will do that. But, i`m gonna stick my neck out here and say that if you have a break and you go to the man that originally did the build, most of the time he will rewrap the new section for a very minimal charge, if any. This is just good business. Thats what i do. You CAN save yourself quite a bit by using a custom builder. You will be getting a rod built to your specs. Don`t get me wrong, No one loves their factory Winstons more than i do, BUT, i can build one just as good, i have, for 20 years. Shop around, make some calls. You are in the neighborhood of some of the finest rod builders in the world. Call the Batsons and they can give you a list of custom builders, don`t listen to the choir, see for yourself. Let me know if i can help.

otisotis likes this.
  11. otisotis

otisotis Member

Media:

True.Very True.For a top notch build go to Cedric Knuckey -[?] at S.E.Alaska Rods....

12. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

As to building your own, what better time than when you're in college! Pick up a blank and components from one of many of the rod component vendors or a local shop who'll teach you how to wrap it. Building a rod is very easy, and your rod will always be yours. You spend that much on beer anyway...go make a rod!

13. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Media:
    haha i guess that's true.

How much would it cost, blank aside? How long does it take?

i can see a really crappy rod in my future....

14. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    Here are a couple of inexpensive kits -
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fish...793480;cat104721480;cat104537880;cat103869180

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fish...793480;cat104721480;cat104537880;cat103869180

Also you might check with uptmost.com. They have blem blanks sometimes for a good price and deals on reel seats and cork. They are a division of batson.

A certain auction site also has sme inexpensive kits. I would not spend very much money untill you have build a few and have the wrapping a finish application worked out.
    Good luck

15. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
  16. jwg

jwg Active Member

Here in the Tri-cities Joe Kassuba at hisrodshop.com in kennewick is a great person to work with.

I've built two rods with his guidance, and he has done some repairs for me on other rods.

Jay

17. RAPA1163

RAPA1163 New Member

Exactly what type of set up are you looking for?

18. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

In the past, I've got a pretty good range of quality/price from The Hook and Hackle Co....they were local to me when I started building my own (http://www.hookhack.com/), but try your local shop first...they'll usually make you a good deal on quality stuff...come to think of it, I don't fish a rod I haven't built myself!

19. TROUTsniffer

TROUTsniffer Member

your a bit far but i've heard nothing but GREAT things about greg's custom rods they'll build it or for $30 you can build it yourself during classes... This is actually going to be a birthday present to myself to build my own 2wt in august :)

20. TROUTsniffer

TROUTsniffer Member

it's in lake stevens by the way