who uses over 600 grs on a 8wt??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sandspanker, May 10, 2011.

1. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

I have a 8 wt 13-0 spey rod have been working too hard as of lately to cast so I was thinking of going up in wt. Have seen a few guys with 700 grs on a 8 wt. Was wondering who uses this wt line??

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Just depends on the particular rod. Calling a spey an "8wt" doesn't really say much about it as far as its grain window. My guess is that there are just things on your cast that might need work. You can learn to cast just about any head on it. If you're using a 600gr, you're probably already toward the high end of the grain window.

3. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

550-650 is the window

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    If you're using a 600gr, I'd stick with it. I have a Decho 8wt, and run a 600gr on it. It's definitely as heavy as I'd go with that rod.

5. nutsack angler

nutsack angler newb

For perspective: I've been fishing a loop yellowline 12'4" 8wt and use a skagit switch 540 + tips from 12' T-11 (672gr.) to 12' of T-17 (744gr.) Other friends of mine who fish the same rod use 570 compact skagits + 15' T-14 (780gr.) while others use 630 compact skagits and 10' of T-14 (770gr.). All 8 weights are different but I hope that gives you an idea of the various combinations a given rod can handle.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Z Axis 8129 throws a nice payload in my inexperienced hands with a 660 grain Airflo Compact Skagit. Also throws a longer and lighter custom line that is probably about 570. Most things seem possible.

7. T Dave

T Dave Member

I have the same rod,, 660 is way heavy.

8. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Media:
    Without knowing what rod, 600 gr seems to be in the ballpark on most 8 weight spey rods. Your most likely having a break down in your casting sequence. For that if your skagit casting I would recommend the DVD Skagit Master #1. One quicker possible solution is you might be pulling your anchor. Try using a longer tippet, somewhere around 4+ feet. If you increase up to a 700gr line you will most likely really have to slow down your casting stroke. (again depending on what rod you are using)

9. abobrien

abobrien Alex O'Brien

Media:
    I would say go for it if you want to jump up to 700 grain it can't hurt I watched skagit master 2 a few day ago scott throws a 750grain skagit with heavy sinktips with the 13'4'' z-axis 8wt
    for example on my 13' 7/8 tfo deer creek I can throw 570 grains compact skagit and 15feet of t17 make that whole set up 825 grains and the suggested window on the rod is 450-700grain but is all personal preference I like to load the rod on the heavy side and chuck a lot of junk

10. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
    i use a 600g on a zaxis 9 wt and a 560 on my 8wt

11. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Media:
    I run a 600 compact skagit on my 8129 z-axis and couldn't imagine going heavier or lighter. Before the 600, I tried a 570 and just didn't like it nearly as much. Although this is a rod that some say just wants more and more. I just haven't felt the need to go heavier, but have to say I am intrigued. Regardless, a perfect example of casting stroke and personal preference being most important with regard to your set up.

12. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Media:
    Home Page:
    8129 the most versatile spey rod I have ever seen,,,that said most of my 8 speys take a 600 or maybe I am too cheap to try others and jsut fish it...

13. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    You want to try something with a 'wide window' toss up a thread about skagit weight prefs.

I cant imagine a 630 on a 8124 Loop Yellow.. a rod thats more of a 7wt anyday. If thats what works well for that guy though then more power to him! Why ask why.

spanker, I'd stick with the 600. Try others as opportunity comes [loaners] keeps R&D investments minimal :)

14. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    For you. For someone else maybe it is pretty good. I'm a hack. Over time I've dropped the weight I'm tossing on that by about 100 grains. I still suck, but the work is in progress.

15. T Dave

T Dave Member

There's nothing good about hack casting an over loaded rod. Better to line it in the proper grain window and learn to load the rod correctly with good technique.

16. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    We all ..or most of us.. get there. It's a work in progress. Blinders are a handicap.

17. longstick

longstick Member

I agree 600 grains on this stick is money.

18. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    Amazing the differant thoughts on line size with any rod. For example I fish two rods mentioned here.

On my Loop 8124Y ( the original version) I fish a 540 compact skagit with tips up to 160 grains.
    On my Deer Creek 13' 7/8 I fish I fish a 510 compact skagit with tips up to 160 grains also.
    I tried the 540 on the DC and found it to heavy for my taste. I tried a 570 compact skagit on the Loop and again found it to heavy for my liking..

I would suggest calling your local shop and ask if you can test drive differant heads, and pick the one that works best for YOU!

19. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

Media:
    One thing that is not touched on often enough is picking a tip that is proportionate to the head. If your throwing 100gr tips on a 600+gr head, at some point someone has steered you wrong. Here is how I go about lining a rod.

Decide the overall length of the head and tip you want to throw +/- a foot or two. This is often a determined by casting style, preference, and rod length.

Pick the tip you would like to use on the rod with in reason. 17' of T-17 on a 5wt is not within reason.

Pick a head that compliments the grain weight of the tip, meets the overall length you desire in step one, and falls within the grain window of the rod. I generally fall at the top of the grain window for Skagit and bottom for Scandi. Keep in mind that the weight of the tip is figured into this.

People often over line rods to compensate for bad form. This isn't always the case, there are situations where it is beneficial. An overlined rod can turn what could be a beautiful spey cast into a lob, if a lob is all you aspire to then a baitcaster is much more effective. A properly lined rod cast with good form should result in the line jumping of the waters surface effortlessly. If it feels sluggish something isn't right.

20. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

Well today I had a long talk with a guy in a fly shop and he looked at my rod and took a good guess at a new skagit head. He said if it were him he would put a airflo 540 gr on my 8wt. or a 570 if I want a little more wt to it. I went with the 540 that he would choose. So today went out on the shoug and casted. I need too SLOW WAY DOWN when I did I casted good still need work on my anchor placement and little tweaks but all in all I think the 600 gr was a over kill and the 540 will make me a better caster. Am planing on going to the clave this weekend so maybe I'll learn something that will help me start to cast better and better. Then maybe I'll get to touch some steel!!! I can't wait.