whole lotta adipose

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jim Speaker, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Fished a new beach (for me) today that I think borders on obscure. Very nice place and interesting compared to what I've fished previously. Every one of a handful of coho that I landed had an adipose and the two chinook I landed were also wild. I lost way more than landed today, which is all good - wonder if these wild fish were just doing a better head shake than the drones? Nice cold gray day on the Sound. :thumb:

2. crazywednesday

crazywednesday Member

Sounds great! Nothing better than catching fish in a new spot.

Justin

3. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    Yeah, when I first waded in a fish happy jumped 40 feet off my left shoulder. First cast was a fish. I knew I was onto something. ;)

4. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Jim,

Hopefully those unclipped resident coho were true wild fish and not unclipped hatchery rezzies. I've read that the sound was full of wild resident coho and chinook (and far more baitfish to support them) in decades past. Every once in awhile during summer I'll land a true wild coho and they're both powerful and flawless with perfect tight chrome scales. Thanks for the reports.

5. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    They were all fine fighting, spunky as hell fish. I'd put my money on wild. I think I just stumbled onto some nifty pod(s). They were all released very nicely.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Those of us trapped inside hate you a bit more now...great report...you suck!

7. Zane Wyll

Zane Wyll Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    HOWIE DO IT YOU NEED TO GET OUT MORE!!!! AKA MUMBLES

8. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    good fishing, glad you were able to get out and explore something new to you.

keep in mind that the indians don't fin clip. its a nice management technique to keep you and the rest of us from harvesting 'their' fish. unfortunately, without that fin clip, its virtually impossible to tell a wild fish.

9. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    keep in mind that the indians don't fin clip. its a nice management technique to keep you and the rest of us from harvesting 'their' fish. unfortunately, without that fin clip, its virtually impossible to tell a wild fish.[/QUOTE]

I've always suspected this was the case, since many hatchery coho with an adipose still have that ragged beat up look to them like the clipped fish. I really don't mind releasing their fish as it's not hard to find plenty of marked fish to bonk.

10. Jeff

Jeff Member

I heard the same thing the other day... I was in Puget Sound Fly Co. and Anil mentioned that fish with an adipose could very well be tribal non-clipped hatchery fish.

J

11. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Good Gawd 'Amighty, does it really have to be this friggin komplicated??:( :confused:

Jc

12. Jeff

Jeff Member

I'm passing along some info that was new to me. Apparently I have no way of knowing for certain if a fish with an adipose is hatchery or not, so I just treat them all the best I can when landing and releasing them.

But you're right, I'm probably over complicating the issue... I do that from time-to-time :)

-jeff

13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Zane, you are right I need to get out more. New job allows one day every two weeks. Wife is back in school so the weekend trip on occasion is now a lot tougher to pull off. When she's working full time and going to school to get her MBA I'm spending lots of time with my girls. Right now it is too cold to take them fishing though.

14. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

The non-clipped fish conundrum gets even better.

Check your regs for the Salmon River on the peninsula. Hatchery fish are identified by a dorsal fin less than 2 1/8 ". Never fear, the height of a credit card is 2 1/8", so you can take a chance on eyeballing that, or clip the platinum card to your vest lanyard.

Some entrepreneur could develop a multi-tool that doubles as a rescue mirror or some damn thing.

15. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Jeff, there was no intent to implicate you in any way in my reference to "Komplications!" It was instead a reference to the insane complications in the WFDW rules & regs that even a staff of permanetly retained lawyers can't decipher into laymans terms that make sense.....:eek:

Someone else made a recent & humorous observation along the same lines in this forum....actually far more humorous than my own reference...:rolleyes:

Jc:)