Whoops...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by alpinetrout, Apr 7, 2009.

1. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
  2. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    A/T,

It was bound to happen. Somali pirates have spread their activities all over the water well beyond their own coast and that off of Yemen. Late last year, I saw a ship that was 20 miles ahead of mine get taken. If your vessel is low to the water and slow (less than 20 knots), you are on the pirates' menu. If you are on the menu, you better have a small fly-by-wire missle as part of your weapon stock. If not, you might as well have nothing aboard and not put up a fight. All those guys have wanted is a ransom--not your life. Returned kidnap victims have reported they were well treated. Compare that to the piracy around the Straits of Malacca and other places, and you soon realize that, though the Somalia pirates have been putting up big numbers lately, there are far, far worse places to be taken down.

I saw your mug on a Fethastyx commercial. You sure get around these days, don't you?

--Dave E.

3. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Really? That's the first I've heard of it.

4. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    I SAW you!!!

BTW, the containership Maresk Alabama was taken by pirates, though the sailors took it back. Unfortunately, the Captain is still hostage in a lifeboat with pirates. I only hope they aren't butt-pirates. If Cappy is a jerk, the messman might wander by the sea painter (the line holding the boat alongside the ship) with a knife and cut it.

As it was, that Captain stood tall and offered himself for the sake of his shipmates. All of us who live even a part of our lives on the water should tip our hats to him. I've sailed with many an asshole. However, it would seem that this captain is bigger a man than many I have known. My prayers go to him, and my wishes go the whole crew coming home together as one family.

I actually saw the Alabama, late last year, when the ship I was on was visiting Oman. I suppose it was a matter of time, as they go between Oman and Djbouti.

Yo Ho Ho!
    --Dave E.

5. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    Dave E. --
    I was watching all this on CNN tonight and reading about it at work on the AP wire all day, and everyone says the U.S. Navy can't protect all these scattered ships. I understand that.

Why can't they put a platoon of Marines -- heavily armed Marines -- on each ship? I think a few TOW missiles zipping over the ocean -- followed with a few belts of .50 caliber should discourage these pirates.

Maybe there are good reasons not to do this -- and you would probably know them.

6. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    It's an entirely screwed scene. Too much water to cover with too little resource. Everytime a pirate scores a ransom, that much more tech and intel they can buy. You and every one else has no idea how much information a person can find with your garden variety maritime information system that is out there. Mo money a pirate has, better the attack system (better ID, faster boat, etc...) they can buy. Better the gear they have, better they can identify the ship they can nail.

It all sucks.

Everytime I ship out, I do wonder when my (and my shipmates!) time will come up. A very unpleasamt thought, to say the least. Not to mention the fact that the ships I sail on traverse those same waters.

Eh. The things you do to make a buck...

--Dave E.

7. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Pardon my coarseness in my previous posts. This Captain showed his true colors, in the way he put his life before his crew. He, his crew, and his family didn't deserve my insensitivity. My words came from my own past ill-experience with other self-serving ship officers. Clearly, the skipper of the Maersk Alabama is not of that ilk.

As I said before, my prayers go out to all of the crew and family members of the Maersk Alabama.

--Dave E.

8. Brian James

Brian James New Member

Media:

What exactly do you do? I'm a sailor too, the submariner type.

And I agree with your above statement; sometimes I feel like a well-used whore.

- Brian

9. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    Ceviche -- I hope your voyages remain safe. I can't imagine watching guys with automatic weapons zip over the horizon and head for my ship.