Who's not afraid to admit it!

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Brookie_Hunter, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    Who owns and unabashedly fishes an Eagle Claw glass fly rod?

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I will admit I OWN one. Do I fish one? No, haven't fished it in eons. Was a pack rod of my Grandfathers. When I got it he had NEVER used it. Family always used Fenwicks. ;) Now, do I admit I use Fenwick Glass flyrods? Hell yes! :)

3. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

I HAVE ONE! it's hanging on my wall. it's a wright & mcgill blank, 8 ft 7wt, paired with an old j.c. higgins reel. i still use the reel though!

is that a martin reel in your picture?

4. tonemike

tonemike fish'n glass

I've never owned one. One off my favorite pack rods that is similarly inexpensive, but fits my casting style much better, is the 5pc berkley buccaneer. Has spigot ferrules and is truly a sweeet little rod.

5. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

I'll admit to having their latest 6'6 & 8', but so far all I've managed to catch is the neighbor's tree.
    For what they cost, they,re great!

6. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'll admit to using a Wright & McGill "Champion" in 7wt.

7. BFK

BFK Member

I own several. I've an unfished bamboo Granger that was given to me, an old glass 9-footer that I used as a bass/salmon rod a long time ago and two of the new Featherlights. I've not fished the FLs yet, but they cast extremely well and will see service on lakes this spring. You couldn't buy the cork for a new rod for what these cost, and the fit and finish looks to be good.

8. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
  9. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

Don,t have a fly rod and never had one but do have my old Steelhead rod and knucle buster Ambassador baitcasting reel.

10. isaacfab

isaacfab Member

I may or may not use one from a rented canoe at UW every now and then....wouldn't leave a nice rod at work ;)

11. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

Bro are you thinking of the Phlueger Supreme? or the Ambassador 5000 (green) Anyways, never had an Eagle Claw, but had many fiberglass, Cortland Crown, Leon Chandler, fenwick, Hardy (still have) and others. I just made a 12' 5/6 switch and building a 9'8" 5/6 wt IM6 bright ass yellow blank I purchased recently, so it may not be an E/C, but I still want one.

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    My first fly rod was an Eagle Claw 8 1/2' 7 wt in the orangish-brown color. Originally purchased with a cheap Pflueger fly reel from the old guy at the Mom & Pop store/gas station down the road. He recommended it for trout fishing at the local lakes: load reel with 6# mono, add sliding egg sinker, then a swivel, then an egg hook on 3 or 4# test leader for fishing single salmon eggs. After I learned to fly cast, I put a fly line on that reel and used the combo to fish for and catch a lot of trout and steelhead. I thought I was in Nirvana. The reel, however, didn't last as long as the rod and was replaced with a Hardy Princess, which went well with the EC fly rod.

Sg

13. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    Yeah, that's a Martin 60. I also have a J.C. HIggins 311-3115 reel (looks like an Ocean City 35) that I frequently use with my Eagle Claw Featherlights.

14. Northlake27

Northlake27 Member

I have to admit I had one but I sawed off the reelseat and cork and made a line winder out of it. Afraid I'm not much of a glass rod fan.

15. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

don't tell me it was a classic one?!

16. [WR]

[WR] Member

have, and once in a very blue moon fish with, a 7 ft EC 4 wt and Pflueger Automatic that i used on the small creeks of central penna as a teener. caught lots of fish of various descriptions with that combo. also lost at least a trio of very old bamboo rods over the years since i was first given one at age 9 [my first rod] most were 3 section 9 footers. damn i wish i wasn't admitting this....

17. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

My first fly rod, given to me in the late 1970's, was an Eagle Claw 8'6" 7wt with metal ferrules. It sucked (floppy as hell...I can still feel it today). Though I hear the new 2010+ versions are very nice, and a steal at their current prices. In any case, that old EC was n-o-t-h-i-n-g like the best modern glass of today (Steffen, Wojnicki, Scott, many more).

I did used to like the Eagle Claw spinning rods from that era. Those were different and very nice for their era until early graphite showed up.

18. hedburner

hedburner Member

Media:
    Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    My first flyrod was a Denco 8 foot 7 weight. With an Pflueger 1494 and level scientific anglers 7 wt line. Whole deal was around 20 bucks brand new.

19. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I still have my first "real" rod. An Eagle Claw convertible spinning/fly rod! I keep it in its original sock in its original tube. Many a bluegill succumbed to that bad boy.

20. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have mine too.

I had been flyfishing for several years already but when I was 13, I bought a Browning Silaflex and level line at the local K-Mart with my lawn mowing money. Seems like it was about $20 or so. Still have the rod although the foam rubber grip is pretty crumbly but for a 30-something year old bargain-bin rod, it looks pretty good. With a new grip, it'd fish just fine.

That rod killed a schitt-load of bass and bluegills in the farm ponds behind my house growing up in Alabama.