who's the spey guy with the red sox hat on Sat on an S river

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by golfman65, Jan 24, 2011.

1. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    Just wondering if it's someone on here...

hat was old school, two red socks and wearing amber spec's and fishing an old hardy...
  2. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    JW Young 1540.

Go Sox,
    cds
  3. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,744 / 0
    I was wondering when he mentioned the Red Sox hat..........................................
  4. Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

do'n it 4 the chinookie
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Great new avi Golfman!:thumb:
  5. fishes-with-fly New Member

Cary, Il
    Speaking of Spey fishing and Red Sox caps. Did anyone see the recent fly fishing installment with Kelly Galloup spey fishing some river up your way with a 9 year old kid who has a lucky Red Sox cap and is on the Pro Staff of some rod company. I turned it off when I saw him trying to teach Kelly how to spey cast. How can you justify a 9 year old on a Pro Staff. I saw him cast, he is marginal at best. Maybe its the new thing. Have a young kid on your Pro Staff to draw attention to your company, make him think he is better than he really is and set him up for disappointment in the future. Its unfair to the kid.
  6. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Ya, Im sure that has a terrible influence on the kid. Poor kid. ...Lol!
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    I agree with Panhandle. If a youngster can cast pretty well then why not? Why not market fly fishing to the young as a fun thing to grow into and do your entire life? I know a little fishy guy that is pretty capable with a single and two handed fly rod and if he can be pro staff, how is that bad?
  8. golfman65 Guest

Hey Charles......damn, thought you were older then me? lol....If I had realized it was you I would have chatted a bit longer...my bud was bushwhacking up from down below and I was hoping to hear him come swearing though the tree's...or to ditch him...but no luck...he made it up...

Good to finally run into you..hope you had a few on in there...now you know what my vehicle looks like!!!
  9. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,615 / 0
    Yeah, I was leery of Charles at first, but he's not actually from bean town, so he's OK.

Sg
  10. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Masshole by birth. Granite stater by up-bringing. Left coaster by choice.

Go Sox,
    cds
  11. Loren E Member

San Rafael, CA
    What rod company is the kid sponsored by?
  12. Bruce Baker Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    St. Croix. If I remember correctly, Kelly took his mojo St. Croix hat away and gave him the Bosox hat. I thought the kid was 12, but he could have 9. Don't remember. He's been fly fishing since he was 5.
  13. golfman65 Guest

hey does anyone remember a few years ago, would have been at one of the tolt casting claves or classes...I went and a dad had his son out there...kid was a pretty decent caster and got a lot of props from everyone...the dad though was a real piece of work....I think they called him Captain sunshine or santa claus?? which was weird as he was a skinny guy with a beard.....Funny as hell especially coming from someone like me who raised and coached their kid in his sport...Always hated and the odd time would get into it with the dads that were yellers at their kids...

anyways, often wondered what became of that kid...If he stuck with it, bet he'd be pretty damn good caster now..don't know about fishing but could cast for sure..
  14. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    H'mmm, I'd like to know where it is written that someone on a prostaff has to be a jedi, or be an adult. Prostaff people are supposed to be testing tackle and using it so other anglers will want to use it. Whether we like it or not us old bastards are gonna die and the young anglers are the next market share. Tackle companies want to sell tackle and young anglers are apart of that market. Fly tackle industry people are constantly whining about finding more customers, and saavy tackle people are involving more young anglers because it pays off in several ways. Many prostaff people are only in it for the free tackle. If ya got to give away tackle I'd just as soon give it to a kid as an adult. The "wow" factor is awesome. Most kids "hooked" on fishing don't seem to be as inclined to become "hooked" on other evil crap. How can that be a bad thing?

I did not see the program but I have a pretty good idea who this young angler is. He may not be much of a spey caster, lots of adults aren't either, but he is one gungho steelheader and will give anyone a run for their money when it comes to catching fish.
  15. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    ...and a cheery good mornin' to you too...:)