Who's using Lamiglas "honey" rods?

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Josh, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +495 / 2
    Just sort of a pointless post to mention how much I love my Lamiglas "Honey" rods for light line fishing. Nice and slow action, relaxing to cast, doesn't take much line out of the tip to load it, makes the 6-10" trout I fish for on feeder creeks feel "big" (as much as that is possible). Plus, the rods are still made in washington state.

I've got a 6.5ft 3wt 3pc and a 7ft 4wt 6pc. I tend to use the 4wt more often because it's a bit more versatile. But I do enjoy them both.

Anyone else using these yellow gold sticks?
  2. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    My favorite glass 4 wt is a rod a friend built for me on a Lamiglas FL904 blank.
    7'6" 4wt. 2 pc. Very sweet! Gotta love those honey blanks!
  3. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    Ditto Bitterroot's comments above about the honey Lamiglass blanks. I had a 6-piece 7'6" one built a couple years back that's become one of my favorites for backpacking. The action is very similar to bamboo but without the maintenance issues or risk of a set.

K
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,327 / 9
    Love my 7'3" 4wt. Just feels right.
  5. pearow New Member

murchison,tx
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have built a bunch of the little 2 weight "classics" offered by South Fork Rod company, mostly for the guys who fish the small mountain creeks for brookies. These blanks are made for South fork by lami. I just returned from Beaver's bend in oklahoma, fishing my 7'6" 3 weight lami for the trout. i love the action on these rods. I also have a 6'6 2 piece 4 weight I built for the same purpose but forgot to take it on this trip-p-
  6. c1eddy Member

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Considering one of these. I assume they would be practically useless in a strong breeze...?
  7. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    Why would you assume that? A fiberglass, bamboo or graphite rod that each use the same weight line will all perform the same under any set of conditions. The difference is in the action of the rod and how it needs to be cast in order to bring out its best. That said, if you're thinking about fishing a 4wt line in a howling gale, there's no rod in the world that would be able to overcome the effects of a hurricane-force wind.

It's worth remembering that tiny Joan Wulff won an international flycasting distance competition in 1951 with a cast of 161 feet (beating an all-male field) using a single-handed bamboo rod. I'm confident that 59 years later, there's damned few people on this forum that could cast 161 feet using a graphite two-hander, let alone a single-handed cane rod. It's not the rod that makes the difference. It's the person casting it.

K
  8. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +220 / 1
    Well stated Kent.
    Brings to mind the old adage, "It's a poor workman that blames his tools".
  9. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +755 / 2
    Kent is right on...if you're a truly good caster. But if you aren't a very good caster, using a stiff graphite rod does help force a cast against a stiff breeze. That's because casters who are still learning are actually "casting the rod" vs. proficient casters who "cast the line". Once you graduate from the former to the latter, you'll be able to use a soft rod to cast a lot of line in nearly any wind condition short of a hurricane.
  10. pearow New Member

murchison,tx
    the little lami 2 weights are designed with the brookie man in mind; these are small stream rods where a delicate presentation of a small fly to small fish in small streams is the norm. They are not designed for distance casting, but they can easily cast 40 to 50 feet if needed, but its usually not. I've never fished those streams but would love to do so. I do fish the rod for brim on Texas lakes. They make an 8 inch brim into a tarpon; at least in my mind!!!! They make brim fishing a lot of fun.-p-
  11. soundflycaster Member

Mossyrock, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I have 2 of the Lami 6 piece rods. One is a 3/4 at 6'6" and a 5/6 at 7'6". Both are great rods. The 5/6 handles most windy situations on small streams just fine. As stated previously these rods load up with very little line out which is valuable in tight quarters. I can still punch line out with both rods 50-60' if needed. The key to these rods is letting them load and unload in there own time. I have caught some fairly good size trout with these rods and there is plenty of backbone if needed. There is a two piece glass rod that is 7'6" and is brown in color that was developed about 6 years ago by Lamiglas that is very good. It is very reminiscent of the Hardy rods from 50's & 60's strong but not stiff. Highly recommended.
  12. fly-by Active Member

Tangled in the Pines
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Built an FL843 last year and really enjoy it. It loads up with just the leader dangling off the end. The short lenght and slow action allow you to use a bow and arrow type cast though tight brush. Took it to PA this spring and it was the ideal small stream brookie rod. It does take a conscious effort not to rush the rod, esp. when it's windy.
  13. pearow New Member

murchison,tx
    Just a heads up, there's a brand new 6'6" 2 weight fiberglass lami made by redingtons at south fork rod company on sale for $150 in the classifieds of www.fiberglassflyrodders/yuku.com. A nice buy if you want a brookie rod-p-
  14. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    I made the mistake of answering this on another forum. It seems they were talking about Lami's being the best for Steelhead, but the spinning version.
    So hopefully you are talking the Fly Fishing "E" glass ....I have a couple custom builds

[IMG]

[IMG]

LOVE this rod.