Why are swirch rods so expensive?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sandspanker, Jan 24, 2011.

1. sandspanker Member

Camas
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I was looking into the echo series line of rods. I noticed that the switch rods were as much or more then there spey rods. Why is this?? They are smaller in blank length and cork handle. Doesn't seem right.Any thoughts??
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,327 / 9
    Thoughts might be that the spey rod technology over the length of those rods have been pretty well established. Research and development of switch rods might be a newer middle of the road line, not just a short spey rod, not just a long single handed rod. To get the right intended performance it might have taken more cost in design of tapers and of course new marketing to try to get all or some of us interested in this niche type of rod.
  3. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0
    echo switch rods are $329.99
    echo TR and DH spey rods are $349.99

the difference in price is comparable to the deer creek spey and switch rods from TFO too.

as for length, some of the spey rods are only 1-1.5 ft longer than the switches. not too much difference.
  4. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,574 / 0
    Switch rods, like most products, are priced to yield the highest marginal rate of return. The length of the rod has next to nothing to do with its price.

Sg
  5. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    Think there is more than a bit of truth to the above (and other comments); R & D does cost $$$. You pay for same, one way or the other.

fae
  6. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +521 / 0
    The cost of a product is determined by the market, except for gas.

Go Sox,
    cds
  7. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +61 / 1
    Check out Allen fly fishing. Give him a call.
  8. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    charge what the market will bear?
  9. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +348 / 0
    because the people who make them, design them, put out their own money to even pursue making them are worth something...

when someone complains about the price of something like a fishing rod or a reel etc. They are in essence saying that the people who are employed by the making of said product are of little value..

I'll keep this in mind when i complain about the prices of certain things.. :)
  10. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Because they're a worthless gimmick and there are people out there willing to waste money.
  11. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    That ought get some panties in a twist!:rofl:
  12. SPEYBUM Member

CARNATION, WASHINGTON, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    IMHO
    It is simple you get what you pay for.
    Carbon Fiber and the better quality of the Carbon ( how pure it is ) add to the price.
    Also you are paying for the research and development of the product.
    Then you must take into consideration the small market that the Switch rod holds.

" The total of all the "Spey" is less than 2% of the total flyfishing market."

A small niche market Such As "Spey' and relatively part of the Market the Switch rod hold makes for very small and expensive product to produce and sell.

For every ten Two Handed fly rods I sell one is a switch rod.
    Along with a through miss understanding of what the purpose of the Switch rod was built around had clouded the market.

"Remember it is a Small two Handed Fly rod designed to be able to switch from overhead casting to Speycasting with no change of line ."

There has been a number of good less expensive rods on the market but IMHO
    the less than stellar performance when put to the test.
    :cool:
  13. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Good post Aaron,

It makes 0.2% of the flyfishing industry based on your info.

I was wondering if this trend is growing or decreasing?

I see a lot of people fish the switch rods here in the east coast (great lakes region), but most of them (I saw) were using them for indicator rig.
  14. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    If you were spey fishing five years ago, were you feeling handicapped and frustrated for lack of a sub-category of spey rods yet to be named as switch rods? No? Switch rods are presently bathed in the golden glow of "I got to get me one of them!" That's why they cost so much.
  15. Dave Henry Member

Langley, British Columbia
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Because we pay what they ask.