Why Camera GPS?

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Brian Miller, Sep 11, 2012.

1. I personally don't want any GPS metadata in photos of trips to my Curtis Creeks or favorite backcountry lakes that I might publish in a public forum. I use Android GPS navigation and fishing log apps that track position, route on custom USGS quads, and catch events displayed on Google satellite maps that I can share with friends. I'm curious, why do you like GPS in a compact waterproof camera for taking photos of your fishing trips?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2. I never use the GPS in any of the waterproof cameras that end up in my hands. For one thing, it kills battery life and for another I don't want my photos geotagged. Sure, I can pull that info out of metadata if needed, but I don't want to have to remember to do that. I don't need people seeing the exact locations I fish and I don't need people seeing the exact locations where my kids play.

Now, if sometime in the future someone makes a waterproof camera with a fully featured hiking-trekking GPS in it, I might be willing to deal with the trouble. But since the cameras now can't display maps or routes or waypoints or geocaches or any of the other useful stuff that hiking GPSs can do, I find it to be a fairly useless feature.

3. I must be old school. I liked it all better when you went someplace and had to use a map to get there. These new fangled things with all them electronics in them are a waste of money as I see it.

4. Says the internet savvy forum user. :)

5. A GPS is an electronic map that can provide location often accurate to within several yards without the consistent need to shoot bearings with a compass to triangulate (challenging if no landmarks are visible due to forest canopy or weather) and check an altimeter. I use GPS on my Android phone often and find it useful
    1. in the car to navigate; I find a location; ex. a place on a FS road with a satellite map or call a business to see if they have what I want, press the Navigate icon, and get a satellite, topo, or street map with voice turn by turn directions. I do keep a map as a backup in the car.
    2. in a hiking navigation app that uses custom USGS topo maps I create to show exact position, monitor & track route, and give hourly voice time/distance/speed hacks. I carry a map, compass and altimeter as a backup. If going off-trail, the map, compass, and altimeter are on active standby
    3. in a fishing log that quickly captures catch/LDR events with date, time, exact location, weather, tide, fish, depth, and fly information I can later view on satellite or topo maps.
    When I upload pics from my cameras to my PC I create folders with a [yymmdd location] name so I always know where they were taken. I don't know of a compelling advantage of a GPS in a camera in contrast to risks mentioned by Josh & I.

6. I know where it is the last fish I caught. I don't need tp pin point the location. I just drive to the spot, get out of my truck, walk ten feet and have a go at the fish.

Being that there ain't a lot of trees around where I fish, it isn't hard to remember where it is where I got my fish

I could talk about the good things about electronics for locations but I can still do the same with just a map.

7. I'm not as old school as Jim, but I enjoy having the skill that using a map requires.

8. GPS in the camera...oh heavens no!

9. on a smart phone you get GPS tagged photos and the ability to view pictures on a map so you can see all the places you have been.

that is really the only non-industrial application that i have seen with GPS tagged photos

10. I did a lot of orienteering as a kid and take a lot of pride that I can navigate just about anywhere with a good map and compass. (And in some situations the compass is optional.) And I never have to worry about battries running out.

And like Daniel Boone "I ain't never been lost. Although I may have been a might confused for a month or two."

11. I did a fair amount of map/compass/altimeter work when backpacking and mountaineering like a 1 mile off trail trek to Fisher Lakes from Tonga Ridge trail in heavy forest with my wife and another couple. On the way out they didn't want to go uphill on a straight compass bearing so I had to compensate for side-hilling and just before a mutiny erupted I ultimately stepped out of the bush onto the exact end of the maintained trail. Or hiking straight up to a 100 foot gap in a ridge over 1.5 miles away from camp on Interglacier in a whiteout that was the key to an approach for ascending Little Tahoma from the east. I'm a GPS newb and haven't figured out how to pre-program routes on it yet but I have skills with a map/compass/altimeter and highly recommend always having them as a backup or on active standby when using a GPS for backcounty navigation.

So far no one is an advocate for the use of GPS in a camera for geotagging photos.

12. I got lost in Washington one time. But this was before Cell Phones or Computers or GPS. But it wasn't my fault. My idiot buddy thought the fishing was great and he didn't want to quit. We were in a canyon and the only way out was straight up the wall.. There was a some what trail but we missed it in the dark. Spent a night in the woods. Climbed out the next day.

Never fished with him again.

13. Old guy here & I've never been lost. Jeep got woefully lost back home in Montana one time tho. I think it was in cahoots with the Elk I was tracking. Found the elk fairly easily; took the better part of the day to find the Jeep. I do use GPS now when visibility is poor, however. I still get confused, but I know exactly how confused I am . . . :eek:

14. camera GPS is not for helping you when you are lost.... it is just for geotagging pictures.... that is all