Why did you pick the boat you got!

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by WABOWMAN, Feb 12, 2012.

1. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

I have always fished from a traditonal style driftboat for my river fishing.I am also in the market for a new boat.
    I am wondering what pro's and cons there are between different boat styles.I have been trying to decide between a low side DB or a skiff or one of the new boats that is a mix of the two.
    I have also thought about rafts and catarafts.I need to be able to have 2 fisherman and a rower.
    let me know what you think and thank you,
    Mike

2. ken2cross

ken2cross Member

Standard answer: It depends

I think it would be helpful to know what kind of fishing you want to do. Puget Sound, Ocean, big lakes, little lakes, hike in lakes, big rivers, little rivers, etc.
    There is absolutely no ideal boat that will work in all these places.

As for me: I have a 28 foot sailboat which is great for multi-day trips on the sound.
    I have a blow up dinghy for the sailboat
    I have a rigid inflatable for - well I might sell it
    I have an 8 foot Livingston for small lakes
    I have a belly boat for close in stuff
    I am building a 13 foot drift boat now (about 75% complete) for rivers.
    I really need a small runabout for local Puget Sound and lakes (for some reason my spouse thinks I don't really "need" it.)

Ken

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I got a two seater Outcast because the price was right. I feared I needed more capacity and found a guy that traded his larger frame to me for my smaller frame. I added 14' maxxons and fished this craft for a couple years. It can take two anglers and a rower, unless all are really large guys it even rows nicely. When the two girls are up front and the Mrs in the back the boat floats us all just fine with all the gear we might need. I've added to my collection over time with a Scadden Avenger XX for two seats, or me and the two girls, and also added the 3 person Scadden Guide so that I can put the same NRS frame from my 14' cataraft into that 14'9" Scadden unitrack toon set. This makes for easier entry (smaller tube diameter) but same or slightly greater floatation (because of the curved inflated rear portion. With lake time with the family it floats as high as the 14' maxxons, but limited loaded river fishing is still to be done. The Scadden pontoons are lighter by a noticable amount compared to the maxxons. I also have a 19.5' cuddy cabin for the sound, a solo inflatable Scadden Assault and a couple of float tubes (not death donuts) for just my own use. I like boats. I should part with the two seater Scadden because I so rarely only go with one other person or with just the girls and I.

I've never had a hard drift boat or raft. I would like to think that eventually I will.

4. ImperialStoutRunsThruMe

ImperialStoutRunsThruMe Member

Mumbles...only 5?...you need more watercraft.

5. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

I already have a 16' bayliner tide runner for the sound and larger lakes and a pontoon for the smaller lakes and rivers by myself.I was wondering about a river boat and what were the pro's and cons of each type of boat.I am wanting to start guiding in the near year or two.I want something that clients would feel comfertable and safe in.

6. PT

PT Physhicist

Which rivers? If you plan on fishing the OP you might want a raft and a DB. If just trout East of the hills a DB would probably fit most waters. The water you're fishing would dictate which craft would be best.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Are you going to be strictly flyfishing, or gear fishing as well? Guiding that is. Hell, even privately, gonna do both?

8. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Mike,

If I were looking at drift boats, I'd check out the Streamtech rafts. PM Derek on here for full details; he can probably set you up to row one. If I were going with a drift boat, it would be a Clack, and for around here, definitely a high side or the fly fishing bench model.

9. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

Ive thought about doing this but didnt want to take advantage of him.
    I am looking at east of the mountans.Even Idaho-Montana.Maybe a trip or two on the OP all flyfishing.

10. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

I'd give Derek a holler. Warning: You will love the Streamtech.

11. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Currently I'm sure glad I had the foresight ;-) to pick up an inflatable as most boats are going to be dry docked this year in California as we've had almost no rain and 20% of normal snowpack. We've been through this before and every time we lose a few boat dealers and the glass hulls are dirt cheap on the used market. Even the skinny jet sleds can't get on the American River today.

12. ignoranceisbliss?

ignoranceisbliss? Banned or Parked

don't get a skiff if you plan on rowing class 2+ or put in anywhere real steep. I work with 2 guys that have clacka skiffs-they are awesome to fish out of but the low bow and stern let a bit of water in during many class 3 rapids as well as when putting the boat in the water if it's near or past 40 degrees

13. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    Its a martinac, nuff said:) designed by Gordy@Alex martinac, never seen another like it...

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    WOW! This isn't being smartassed, but man if rivers are that low how's a raft going to make it through it? My old sled could run in 5" of water and river only had to be 3' wide when I was on plane. Most rafts loaded down will be taking up more width then that and about same depth. But, I've never floated the American, so don't know it. Just going off experiences in similar scenerios (Wynoochee) during drought years. Had a tough time even moving my old catarafts down river, and they were narrow and high floating. Still had to portage things. Ended up just wet wading those summers. I thought you guys were getting rain down there this year? My friend who lives down there keeps complaining about the rain they've been getting. Could've sworn she was near Sacramento. That sucks either way, feel for you. Drought years makes it tough, especially since the water temp goes up and puts a strain on the fish. :( Hope you get some rain and snowpack soon.

15. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    I can float over 2" with my little Scadden, but I will definitely be doing some lining and portaging this summer. We have had about 6" of rain for the season; normally we should have about 13". The foothill creeks are next to dry and the reservoirs are low and without snowpack may never reach even 80% of full pool, and that trickles down to stress for the fish, decreased boating and water recreation, and very cranky farmers. As of yesterday Sierra snowpack was 29% - 35% of normal for this date. Normally the American flows either side of 1600 about now and a few days ago it was at 138. Needless to say our Steelie run has been a little lackluster.

16. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I bought a Scadden Renegade to complement my float tubes and give me greater range on the (reasonably-still) waters I frequent. I was looking for something reasonably light-weight that an older gent with a bum shoulder could haul to the water without aggravating said shoulder. I sold the jet boat that I used as a Columbia River fly-fishing taxi after I divorced, the Kids became enamored with activities other than boating, and fuel prices started to climb.

17. jmeti000

jmeti000 Member

I bought mine cuz its cheap, easy to use, and I can do it by myself (yes, Im talkin about boats :D )

18. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I drooled on pictures of my boat for 5 years. Then we bought our current house with a garage. I ordered the boat in mahogany from Ray's and drooled on the pictures a few more months while they finished it. While It's a river boat, it has a full transom and takes motors well for lakes and the Sound. It's not a heavy water boat but I'm content to leave the heavy water be. It'll do any rivers I care to.

I also have a Santana 23 and a 26' Searay. Some day I'll learn how to sell a boat. Just not the woody.