Why do we steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Ryan Nathe, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    In mid July I left for the Deschutes at 5:30 in the morning, which required that I rolled out of bed at 4:45. This sounds pretty difficult, but when you consider that I was lying next to a gorgeous woman who is 19, (p.s. I am 19 too) it was that much harder. I just remember being so damn exhausted all the way down to the Deschutes. As I was leaving town I realized I had forgotten my camera, but I was ten minutes from home and it was the first trip of the year and what I thought was a little early so I didnt turn back for it. I was in the water by 7:30. I was wet wading so it was cold cold cold. July sounds warm but when you are crotch deep in cool deschutes water and the sun hasn't broken over the rim of the canyon it is cold. At around 8:20 the sun was starting to shine on the water I was swinging. At this point I started doubting why I came. It was too early to have very many numbers in the river, I had only caught one steelhead on a fly so I doubted my techniques as well, and why did I leave that girl... But then with the first vicious head shake I knew why I had come. The 9 pound native (the largest steelhead on the fly for me to date) absolutely smashed my purple peril as it swung over the bar towards shore and the fight was on. I think my favorite sound in the world is the sound of a "screaming" reel. When I got the steelhead to hand I just held it in my hands for a second or two. I had no camera so I tried to soak in the beautiful fish as much as possible before its release. Then with the flick of its tail it slid into the green waters of the deschutes and disappeared.

Anyone else have a story about a memorable steelhead?

2. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Media:
    Nathe... What are you an author now? Quit writing poetry and go fishing... - T

P.S. Its freakin cold here, eh?

3. Porter

Porter Active Member

We just more or less had a thread a few days ago or week ago about the meaning/story thing. Why? Why not? and on and on.

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Wait a second . . .

Nathe,

You left where - Seattle - at 5:30 AM and were wading the Deschutes River by 7:30 AM? What were you driving, and what route are you taking that I don't know about? I'm an hour south of you, and it takes me 4 hours. Or, is this a fiction writing thing going on here?

And jeezemaneesh, if you're having doubts about getting out of the bed you're sharing with a woman to go fishing, well it's not hard to deal with. Wake her up, seduce her, have sex, thank her for the second best experience known to man (no, don't tell her it's second best, stupid!)get up, and leave. (Set your alarm for 20 minutes earlier for as many years as you experience these doubts.) You wouldn't have forgotten your camera if you had a packing list, and packed your car the night before, checking off everything on the list.

Yes, I have stories of memorable steelhead. But not in the last two weeks. It was too cold, so I stayed in bed and had sex before getting up late for a liesurely breakfast and coffee.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

5. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    Salmo G, I like the advice. And no this experience was over summer so I was in Yakima not Seattle.

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Nathe,

I would have had no idea of using a packing list when I was 19. Not sure if I had a photographic memory or just an inability to forget anything - trivial. I could only seem to forget chores, homework, etc. As I've gotten older, a packing list has become essential. I wouldn't think of going on an extended multi-day fishing trip without using one. Heck, it's getting so bad I almost need one for my day trips.

Keep fishing.

Keep writing.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

PS: we steelhead fish because we're nuts. Everyone knows that.

7. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    Salmo G, Yes we steelheaders are crazy. Hopefully you can tie into a steelhead over break. Merry Christmas