Why Epoxy?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by mr trout, Mar 16, 2005.

1. mr trout Trevor Hutton

Yakima, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am going to start tying some SRC and salmon type flies, and I was wondering why are the heads epoxied? Is it a durability thing, or to improve the action through the water...I really don't know. To me it doesnt seem like it would be worth the hassle if it is just for looks... Thanks - Trevor
  2. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    both. . . . . .
  3. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Well the durability thing is why I do it. It helps keep the head area smooth and translucent. You'll notice it especially after you've finished tying your flies and your putting the eyes on. They tend to not conform with the shape of your head area, with the epoxy you just start filling in the area between the eyes and all around them. Also cover the eyes as well it will make them last longer.

;)
  4. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    Yeah doll eyes last only awhile without Epoxy. Some time there are the materials you just know you'll need epoxy. As with any material the collaspes quickly, the epoxy will give it the shape to flow behind.
  5. gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Gig Harbor, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    If you hit some lead eyes against the rock a couple of times, it will made a lot of sense (they don't last too long). I tried some flies with epoxy and found it to be more trouble than it was worth, metal dumbell eyes always seem to do the trick.
  6. silver south paw

Mill Creek, Wa
    while epoxy will make a fly more durable and will help keep they eyes on- for me I like the way it gives a bullet head streamer just that little bit of weight to keep it stable. lead eyes are a bit too heavy and a serious pain to cast on light tackle (like SRC fishing in the sound)... all though a good clouser is hard to beat
  7. Surf_Candy Member

Bainbridge Island, WA.
    also helps keep longer streamer material from wrapping around the hook during casting - depending on how far back you take the epoxy of course.

You can touch up sand blasted epoxy with Sally Hansen's Hard as nails to get it looking fresh again.

suf